Good treats for baby chicks?

Our chicks are almost a week old. We've given them a bit of boiled egg, mealworms, dry oatmeal, cottage cheese. All were loved and sources of entertainment for us as they chased each other over treats. So fun. I haven't bought grit yet but we've taken them to the garden already one day and they ate everything in sight, tiny pebbles included. We made up a dust bath of sand, firepit ash and dirt. They like to eat out of it as well as are just learning it's for dust bathing. So fun to watch. I'm hoping these are enough for grit until i get to the store for some...

My only problem now is they either sleep on the roost bars OR all cuddled up together in the dust bath. I'm hoping that doesn't become a problem. They should be roosting to sleep I think, not laying around like they're in a nest! Lol. I'm sure that will straighten itself out. Wondering if i should take the dust bath out at night.

Oh and tomorrow we start them on fermented mash. And I might hang a slice of cabbage for them to pick. Someone here mentioned that.

Last edited:
When my first batch of chicks were 1 day old I fed them dandelion leaves. (That's how old they would be when they would naturally go outside, after all!) It was hilarious, watching them chase each other around, trying to get a nip out of it.
big_smile.png

Our wee chicks are now 12 days old. We gave em a little bit of cottage cheese and I laughed and laughed! I am glad I found this thread as I find it very informative. I thank all of you who have posted here. I now feel better about a treat or two. I had read somewhere about the cottage cheese but then started worrying about hurting the wee ones. God bless.

Our chicks are 8 days old today and yesterday I gave them finely cut romaine lettuce and apple. It was so funny to see one get a piece and then be chased by all the others trying to get the treat from him. There was plenty for all but I guess it is their nature to compete with each other. This morning I gave them finely diced watermelon, honeydew and a grape. They seem to be eating their treats with a little less chase. I have been sprinkling a tiny amount of grit in their feed for a few days now. The all seem happy and doing well.

Wow, great thread! Thank you so much for all the info. I have 2 day olds I'd like to give crumbled egg yoke to, but the hard boiled eggs have been in the fridge all day. Should I heat them before offering it?

Thank you! I'll just heat them until they feel like body temp. I can't wait to see how they like it! They already eat their starter feed out of my hand, so it shouldn't be hard to get them to try.

We're new to this too but we read that ground up, but not into flour, of old fashion rolled oats made into a slurry was good for them. I also added one teaspoon of Greek Gods strawberry honey yogurt to it and they devoured it in no time flat! Before I gave it to the rest though, we have a weak baby, and we had to hand feed her with a straw. She wouldn't make any noise before and she is peeping a bit and waddles around. Going to have to keep a eye on her to make sure she pulls through but I think little Hope will.

Back
Top Bottom