Good treats for baby chicks?

I gave my girls a red wriggler (from my indoor composting bin). They are 5 days old and they went nuts for it. But then I read here there is some concern regarding parasites in worms! Ugh.

So, then mealworms looked promising but now the eat through stomachs!!

Grapes are poisonous to dogs so I held off on that.

ok, no hard-headed mealworms, no styrofoam, everything else in moderation is ok...especially hard boiled eggs (I feel like I'm turning them into cannibals tho).
Is grit the same thing as oyster shell? Probably not.....I never gave my first 3 chicks grit, but they are free to wander as far as they want once they had feathers. So maybe, eating starter crumbles, they didn't need grit. I fed them lots of blueberries, because we have them. But then I read that feeding fruit to laying hens is bad.....but in the summer months they spend hours in the blueberry patch and still lay an egg a day....wrong thread, I digressed, sorry.
I have to say, I have never heard that feeding grapes to dogs is toxic. Chocolate, yes; xylitol, yes.

It seems like they are tough little critters. That's good.

What about the vita-pack and gro-gel that I already purchased from a hatchery? I don't want to kill them with kindness.....?
sad.png

I've been giving a hard boiled organic egg chopped up and mixed with ground sesame seeds and flax meal. That mix is recommended In "City Chicks" by Pat Foreman. They go crazy for it. I give it about once a week.

I did the cricket thing. I got some small crickets from Petsmart along with some small meal worms. They went nuts for the crickets and didn't have any problems with them. They liked the meal worms too.

Watching them catch one and then announcing it to the others and the ensuing game of keep away is priceless.

I wondering about black oil sunflower seeds for chicks that are a month old? Could they handled them? How do you know if you're feeding too much?

Back
Top Bottom