Good treats for baby chicks?

When do my chicks start liking other foods? they are 8 days old and they turn their beaks up to everything except the crumbles I got for them at the store. When do they start expanding their palate??

I had the same problem when I tried to feed cooked eggs and spinach.....the first time they weren't interested, the second time (at about 12 days old) they thought it was ok. During succeeding times they tore it up in seconds! Now they are 4 weeks old, and I can't give them any eggs or even spinach because I'm afraid that they'll hurt each other. They need a bigger space first, and then multiple locations.....I have 16.

My girls are 6 weeks old and I just gave them hard boiled egg (mashed up). They couldn't care less what was in the bowl. Thought the bowl was interesting to walk around in but the food was boring.
Am I that bad of a cook that even my chicks won't eat my food? My poor dog was salivating she wanted the egg so badly.

I've been taking both of my 2 1/2 week old EEs outside on nice days in a large wire dog crate without the bottom. I try to put them where they get both dirt/sand and grass. I've noticed they do eat gravel & sand. Is this enough or should I add grit? I found some kind of small red grub-like wormy things in my garden and they sure do love them!

mine are crazy for raw apples, cottage cheese, and some left-over mac& cheese. Spaghrtti, ham, cooked & diced into 1/4 " cubes or chunx is fine. One of my hens refuses popcorn, the other two gobble it up as fast as it hits the ground! Oatmeal is a favorite treat for my hens & rooster alike. RAW OATMEAL,~ the OLD-FASHIONED oats, RAW, DRY It sure helps if a chicken has drippy or loose poo. Some oatmeal a few days in a row, the poo is nice, white & almost clean.

If you want to feed your chickens something, check the list, then try a tiny bit on your chickens and see how they react to it. You could be in for lots of fun, just watching your bird's reactions.

Have fun, and may God bless you & all you do.
hugs.gif

We have 3 polish babies almost 3 weeks old and 2 of them go absolutely mental for worms. It's soooooooooooooooooo funny to watch. Kinda like 8 year olds the day after Halloween. The two of them snatch the worms from my hands then run around the brooder like maniacs chirping and chasing each other with these poor worms flapping around from their beaks. I don't know how they do it but they manage to hang on to wiggly worms while still chirping up a storm. I should really take some video of it. They haven't shown any interest in anything but worms yet.

Back
Top Bottom