Good treats for baby chicks?

Quote:
Around here about 8 bucks a bag, the same as 25 lb of regular feed. I bought one. They liked them but no more than boiled egg, canned corn, spaghetti or anythign else in a person's hand. So when they finished that bag it was probably their first taste of dried mealworm!
big_smile.png

Our Kmart stores sell dried mealworms for wild birds for 4.99 a bag. I've found the bags of mealworms labeled for chickens or hens are $8 and up. The amount in the bags is about the same and the product is identical. They were the first treat our chicks would eat, however, tonight they discovered dry oatmeal. You would have thought it was the best food in the world!

I have 8 chicks, half are 3 weeks old and half are 4 weeks old. They're on starter mash that includes grit. I give them treats a couple of times a day. I was giving leafy greens until I read that that can cause diarrhea. They love cucumber (skin off, seeds out), melon, cherries, apple, ham, all chopped really finely. I do give them greens now (beet greens, dandelions, cabbage) but less often and they go mad for them too.

Mine LOVE plain yogurt (found an easy recipe using my crockpot on line), nine grain whole dried cerials, fruits, raw or cooked oatmeal.

Back
Top Bottom