Good treats for baby chicks?

My six week-old chicks went bonkers this afternoon for corn-on-the-cob, the soft kind sold in stores for humans to boil up and eat. I just stripped the leaves and silk off and let them have at it. Peckathon!!!! Lots of fun and entertainment for them as they peck at the cob for a long time getting every little shred of kernel off. I love a lot of the other ideas on here as well. My chicks are outside in a pen during the day on the ground, they're getting plenty of natural grit, grass and tiny bugs, but its fun to socialize them with treats!
pop.gif

I make my chicks "salad" of diced kale, finely grated carrots and assorted fruit leftovers most days that they love. Once a week or so I mix some plain greek yogurt with mashed boiled egg and some finely shredded carrot and they just go NUTS for it. I also mix a bit of chick ultra kibble into their " salad" or yogurt to be sure they're getting lots of nutrition from it. I keep a box grater in the barn so if I have other produce they might like but is to big for them I just grate it up some for them. If they really in luck I'll also toss them piece of a watermelon rind with some red left on it.

My big girls eat pretty much the same treats with a little bit more house scraps mixed in and nothing as finely chopped or grated, however I have yet to get anyone to eat carrots that are not grated. The ladies also get some scratch with dried mealworms mixed in every morning scattered around their yard.

( The always all also have chick/ chicken crumbles and water available at all times)

I have 3 one month old chicks I was wanting to give them a little treat. Is it okay to give them a scrambled egg or would that be too much protein? Also would it be okay to give them scrambled duck eggs?

I'm new to this and trying to be as prepared as possible when the chicks arrive. I have a few questions about treats for baby chicks. I'm going to be tempted to spoil them right away and I want to do it in a way that won't harm them!

1. Is it better to wait as long as possible, at least to a week? I know things like hard boiled eggs have good protein, is that ok to give sooner?

2. Is it better to start them on soft treats that don't need grit, like yogurt and hard boiled eggs? What's the rule of thumb for what needs grit- if you could eat it without teeth, they can eat it without grit? Anything you'd give to a baby without teeth? Can they eat spaghetti without grit?

3. When's a good time to introduce foods that do need grit, and the grit itself?

4. When feeding yogurt, does it have to be a plain variety? I've seen pictures of adult hens eating what looked like blueberry yogurt. Can it be flavored? would chunks of fruit require grit?

Any more suggestions for favorite treats, and do they need grit, or not? I know about hard boiled eggs, yogurt, spaghetti and bugs (which do need grit, i know). I know people suggest oatmeal- is this cooked or raw?
IF you go to the Learning Center, then click on Housing and Feeding Your Chicks, there is a treat chart that list good/bad treats Enjoy....its so fun to feed treats!

I read that grass clippings can impact their crop. Not sure I used the right spelling but their little chicken tummies

I don't understand giving baby chicks boiled eggs... I'm very new to the chicken world but the idea of babies eating eggs of their own kind sounds kind of wrong to me. Am I crazy?

Back
Top Bottom