Goodbye, chickens :'(

jamieluzs4

Songster
7 Years
Jul 1, 2012
East Coast
New Jersey sucks. I have chickens and absolutely adore them, however, I have one rooster. Sadly, just before I could get rid him, a noise complaint was filed to the zoning office and are forcing me to get rid of all 7 of my chickens. I am in love with them, and they are just as good a pet as any. Is there anything I can do to keep them ?

Edited by staff

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry to hear that!!! :( my county in Georgia finally passed an ordinance that we can have chickens on less than 2 acres so now I'm finally not breakin the law.lol.

Maybe you could give them to a friend temporarily and maybe in a couple of months, when everyone forgets about your chickens, you can bring them back. I would stick with maybe three at the max thou if you aren't really supposed to have them. I keep mine in the basement when we are gone and at night and only let them out when I am home. That way I know no one was poking around or making up things. Also, maybe you can discuss with your neighbors about how much you love your chickens and you promise to not have any more roosters/if they are making noise ask if they would come to you first so you can work to solve the problem.

I would still give them to a friend for now, to show everyone you are willing to comply. Then try as I stated above. Good luck!

Is there someone you can temporarily give the pullets to to care for them temporarily until you can bring them back home?

Is someone going to check on you and verify that they are all gone, or is it just as long as no one else complains (i.e, the rooster is gone) the gov. won't bother you again?

I guess worse case senario, you do what they tell you to do, and next year, you start over.

I'm sorry that you are having to go thru this.

CG

The best thing you can do for yourself and any other chicken lovers in your region is to band together and work to get the ordinance changed. My county just began to allow chickens last year and more and more localities are coming on board. There are "rules and regs" in my region - a minimum sized lot required - a maximum of birds that you can have depending on acreage - no commercial ventures - no meat processing, private egg use only - but at least the door is open for those of us wanting backyard chickens for eggs.

BYC has a forum devoted to regional laws and how you can change them. Maybe you'd find some helpful information there> https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/37/local-chicken-laws-ordinances-and-how-to-change-them

thats HORRIBLE!!!!you should DEFINITLY try to find ANYONE who would hold onto them for like,a month or something.Then sneakily bring them back,at night
hide.gif

That's unfortunate, I take it chickens are not allowed in your area? I guess you didn't know it, shame as it looks like the rooster ruined it for you by telling everyone you had chickens, if you are allowed chickens but just not roosters then say you have removed him now, I wouldn't try to sneak them back in if the law says no chickens as the neighbour will report you again as they will be more aware of any noises, sorry but I hope you can work it out.

isnt there actually a federal law that states that ALL citizens should keep chickens? Its an old ordinance but i think it still applies.

Yes, has been a time honored tradition by so many that should not be intruded upon... I think Mtnlaurl has the best approach -- we got to band together, attend meetings at all levels, and try to protect our rights by preventing these crazy rules as they are proposed and repealing them where possible.

Back
Top Bottom