Goodnight, Chicken

ChicksterJo

Songster
8 Years
Feb 19, 2011
Grounded on Earth
After losing a couple of my favorite chickens, I decided that I really should try saying "Goodnight" to my chickens if I am able to see them before dark settles entirely. That's probably because I lost a couple of my chickens overnight, and I'd find them on the ground dead the next morning.
Once all my chickens are up on the roost and night starts falling, I give each one a quick hug or pat, or if they hate hugs, just a simple, "Goodnight, chicken."

Anyone else say "Goodnight" to their chickens?

Yup, as I close the coop, then after I put the kids to bed later to make sure I locked everything right. I am taking more time right now, am making sure to pet some new youngsters and it is easier at night.

I always have every night since I began with mine in early 2008. The only exception has been on the rare ocassions I have been away on a trip. I always check on them at night too. My flock leader/roo always gets a hug and "I love you big boy"

Last edited:
Yes! I love mty chickens soo much! I indivudially give them a hug and say goodnight, thier name, and "i love you chicky"
love.gif

We dont have a real coop yet, just a hutch. All our 7 chickens try to fit on the same roost whihc dosent work! A few days ago, i went in and saw that the roosters had given up thier spot to make room for the hens! How cute!

Last edited:
Sure, and I always get a few "boka-boka-bokas" in reply. Well, I always talk to them when I go down to close up so they aren't startled, usually say, "it's just me - everybody in bed?"...and then "goodnight, chickens".

deb g

I go out and tickle each of their tummies. It's funny cuz I have a few who don't like to be touched and so they usually squawk and stand up and give me the stink eye. But I just tell them that I love them and that they will learn to like that.

Back
Top Bottom