GOOSE BREEDING THREAD - for breeding, incubating, hatching and rearing.

So I've been preparing to go in and take away Mango's goslings when they hatch. Every day I go in the pin and grab Kiwi and carry him around the yard and lay him down on the ground sitting over him. He has never tried to come after me. He hisses inside the pin but when I step in he runs away, LOL!! I am the top goose.
I also practice picking up Mango off her best for a few seconds then I let her crawl back on. She usually doesn't even hiss when I do this, but I want to make getting the goslings out as easy as possible. Am I doing okay? Anything else I should do?

So I've been preparing to go in and take away Mango's goslings when they hatch. Every day I go in the pin and grab Kiwi and carry him around the yard and lay him down on the ground sitting over him. He has never tried to come after me. He hisses inside the pin but when I step in he runs away, LOL!! I am the top goose.
I also practice picking up Mango off her best for a few seconds then I let her crawl back on. She usually doesn't even hiss when I do this, but I want to make getting the goslings out as easy as possible. Am I doing okay? Anything else I should do?
Are you planning on selling the goslings? Other than that there would be no real reason to remove them from the mother and she will do a really good job of raising them. I am letting my three raise the 8 goslings that hatched and they have bonded as a real goose family. But, of course, I am keeping all mine at least until they are adults.

Are you planning on selling the goslings? Other than that there would be no real reason to remove them from the mother and she will do a really good job of raising them. I am letting my three raise the 8 goslings that hatched and they have bonded as a real goose family. But, of course, I am keeping all mine at least until they are adults.

They will be mostly going with my grandmother and the rest I need to bond with my first batch of goslings. I want them to be as people friendly as possible, not like Mango and Kiwi who were not hand raised.

If you think that they can still be human friendly while being raised by Mango then I may leave them with her?? What do you think

They will be mostly going with my grandmother and the rest I need to bond with my first batch of goslings. I want them to be as people friendly as possible, not like Mango and Kiwi who were not hand raised.

If you think that they can still be human friendly while being raised by Mango then I may leave them with her?? What do you think
If you spend a lot of time with them they will bond in the sense that geese do bond with their human companions. They may not be as people friendly as I think you want them to be. That would take a lot of work. So, take them from their adults, but plan on spending a LOT of time with them. Just taking them away and spending a few minutes here and there will do nothing in terms of people bonding. The ones here on BYC that you read about being really close to their human companions are often times house geese and not raised in pens or outside.

If you spend a lot of time with them they will bond in the sense that geese do bond with their human companions. They may not be as people friendly as I think you want them to be. That would take a lot of work. So, take them from their adults, but plan on spending a LOT of time with them. Just taking them away and spending a few minutes here and there will do nothing in terms of people bonding. The ones here on BYC that you read about being really close to their human companions are often times house geese and not raised in pens or outside.
I plan on it. I'm actually currently sitting in the brooder with my current batch of geese. ;) Thank you Miss L!!!!

I wanted to update on the spinning gosling. He is 14 days old now and doing well. It almost seems like autism. He is ok in his box or if I am holding home. If I put him anywhere different he wigs out and spins. If I put him with other goslings he spins. Strange noise, vibrations etc. cause spinning. But in his own world he gets around, eats like a pig and drinks. Hopefully one day he can live in the small fenced back yard. Today I hatched some rir x ee chicks and put them with him and he just loves them. They are confused as to why "mom" is eating kale and lettuce but he is no longer alone. I can't post the phone pics since backyard chickens disabled the tapatalk picture uploads. I uploaded them on safari instead!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I wanted to update on the spinning gosling. He is 14 days old now and doing well. It almost seems like autism. He is ok in his box or if I am holding home. If I put him anywhere different he wigs out and spins. If I put him with other goslings he spins. Strange noise, vibrations etc. cause spinning. But in his own world he gets around, eats like a pig and drinks. Hopefully one day he can live in the small fenced back yard. Today I hatched some rir x ee chicks and put them with him and he just loves them. They are confused as to why "mom" is eating kale and lettuce but he is no longer alone. I can't post the phone pics since backyard chickens disabled the tapatalk picture uploads. I uploaded them on safari instead!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So happy to hear he is still with you and is making progress. maybe having his own lil flock to care for will help when you put him outside. Thanks for updating.

Back
Top Bottom