Gosling with a severed foot.

Quote:
Animals do understand for the most part. I've tended many animals and very, very few, a couple of rare animals, have not understood the fact that I'm helping them, no matter the pain it puts them through. This is including many wild animals too. Almost all of them understand. Intentions are a universal language to some extent, pretty much all animals understand that quite easily, language barrier notwithstanding.

Some old farming texts I've got describe geese as 'ideal patients' --- making note of how understanding they are, how intelligent and how much self-control they have as patients compared to some other animals. They're ideal for treating with severe wounds because they're 'cooperative' or understanding, according to those texts.

I doubt he will go into shock. He already has been through so much, if he's still here, he's a tough one. Most birds I've dealt with are very tough, I've yet to see a single one go into shock or have a heart attack from fright as per the common literature. Sometimes I've caught wild birds to remove string they're tangled in, to disinfect wounds, etc, and they understand that too, despite how initially frightening it must be. Wild animals are very 'clued-in'.

I would suggest though, with all due respect, that you try to deal with your own emotions before you touch him. It carries through to him far more efficiently than most realize. Your stress levels are probably what's most likely to harm him by stressing him, or give him a negative impression of what you're doing. If you're wretchedly apologetic about something you nonetheless continue to do, some animals will take that as you admitting guilt (so to speak) or something negative. Saying 'sorry' for hurting them is one thing but being extremely distressed about it can give them an entirely different view of what you're doing to them and why. Sounds like lofty comprehension to ascribe to an animal but in my experience that's basically how it goes. No over-the-top apologies or it alters their perception of the incident. Most social animals have some kind of conciliatory noise they make when they've accidentally hurt or scared another of their own kind, so I believe 'sorry' or the equivalent is well within their comprehension, and my experiences have always confirmed that to me; obviously with us saying sorry they understand the tone and intent, not the word, but the understanding is there in all but a few rare cases.

Interactions with damaged or ill animals need to be positive and calm, and not just acting it, because they know. You need to find a positive mental state while doing some grisly tasks. It may help to remember things like: this is inevitable, it's got to be done, you're doing all you can and it's got to be good enough because it's the only chance the animal has, animals generally have strong pain control mechanisms, etc... (Not suggesting they don't feel agony like we do, there, just that I think they retain self-control better than humans on average). Whatever helps you be calm and positive. You can turn that stress into something more helpful. If you're at all able, it's best to put stress and anxiety and sadness etc aside during all your interactions with him.

Sometimes I've had to give an animal space while I sort out my response to their injuries, because the negative and stressed emotions only hinder. Sometimes I've had to send others away --- you probably all know the scenario where there's an injured animal and there's someone wringing their hands and panicking and making constant noises that clearly display their distress, and the animal's paying more attention to the overwrought human than they are to their own injuries!

X2 on the idea that this is an accidental injury. It does look like an accidental burn. It seems more likely than not --- whoever had him before tended him and kept him alive, he didn't seem to fear humans (as far as I've heard) so there wasn't outright abuse, and when the injury happened they weren't able to be callous-hearted enough to just neck him. Instead they most likely picked someone they thought could help the issue either way, i.e. TLC or culling, but they weren't brave enough to come to your face with him, most likely for fear of judgement. Some people are so tender-hearted they're cruel, but not by choice, and with all the right intentions. I don't think he's some clear-cut abuse case.

There's been plenty of cases I don't tell extended family or friends about because some people automatically cry 'animal abuse!' whenever they see an injured, emaciated, or ill animal, which is just plain daft and ignorant. It's saddening how many beloved pets have had the RSPCA called on them, and have been seized and euthanized as 'abuse cases' because they had a condition which was either untreatable or in treatment, or they were just plain old, or it looked bad, no matter how bad it actually was. The rangers here have the legal power to perform on-the-spot killings of any skinny animal, no need to know why they're underweight or whether they're improving or not. That's insane. I'm certainly not against the RSPCA stepping in to deal with abused or neglected animals but their mistakes aren't any nicer just because they do good things as well. Those are irreplaceable lives and characters (and sometimes, genetics) hanging in the balance, being wiped out because someone didn't take the time to learn what the situation was... I know, pointless complaint. I'm not 'bashing' them, I hope you understand.

I'd still personally get him company of his own kind because when he hits adulthood, he's most likely going to want a goose around... But whatever you do, hopefully it works out.

Best wishes with him.

Animals do understand for the most part. I've tended many animals and very, very few, a couple of rare animals, have not understood the fact that I'm helping them, no matter the pain it puts them through. This is including many wild animals too. Almost all of them understand. Intentions are a universal language to some extent, pretty much all animals understand that quite easily, language barrier notwithstanding.

Some old farming texts I've got describe geese as 'ideal patients' --- making note of how understanding they are, how intelligent and how much self-control they have as patients compared to some other animals. They're ideal for treating with severe wounds because they're 'cooperative' or understanding, according to those texts.

I doubt he will go into shock. He already has been through so much, if he's still here, he's a tough one. Most birds I've dealt with are very tough, I've yet to see a single one go into shock or have a heart attack from fright as per the common literature. Sometimes I've caught wild birds to remove string they're tangled in, to disinfect wounds, etc, and they understand that too, despite how initially frightening it must be. Wild animals are very 'clued-in'.

I would suggest though, with all due respect, that you try to deal with your own emotions before you touch him. It carries through to him far more efficiently than most realize. Your stress levels are probably what's most likely to harm him by stressing him, or give him a negative impression of what you're doing. If you're wretchedly apologetic about something you nonetheless continue to do, some animals will take that as you admitting guilt (so to speak) or something negative. Saying 'sorry' for hurting them is one thing but being extremely distressed about it can give them an entirely different view of what you're doing to them and why. Sounds like lofty comprehension to ascribe to an animal but in my experience that's basically how it goes. No over-the-top apologies or it alters their perception of the incident. Most social animals have some kind of conciliatory noise they make when they've accidentally hurt or scared another of their own kind, so I believe 'sorry' or the equivalent is well within their comprehension, and my experiences have always confirmed that to me; obviously with us saying sorry they understand the tone and intent, not the word, but the understanding is there in all but a few rare cases.

Interactions with damaged or ill animals need to be positive and calm, and not just acting it, because they know. You need to find a positive mental state while doing some grisly tasks. It may help to remember things like: this is inevitable, it's got to be done, you're doing all you can and it's got to be good enough because it's the only chance the animal has, animals generally have strong pain control mechanisms, etc... (Not suggesting they don't feel agony like we do, there, just that I think they retain self-control better than humans on average). Whatever helps you be calm and positive. You can turn that stress into something more helpful. If you're at all able, it's best to put stress and anxiety and sadness etc aside during all your interactions with him.

Sometimes I've had to give an animal space while I sort out my response to their injuries, because the negative and stressed emotions only hinder. Sometimes I've had to send others away --- you probably all know the scenario where there's an injured animal and there's someone wringing their hands and panicking and making constant noises that clearly display their distress, and the animal's paying more attention to the overwrought human than they are to their own injuries!

X2 on the idea that this is an accidental injury. It does look like an accidental burn. It seems more likely than not --- whoever had him before tended him and kept him alive, he didn't seem to fear humans (as far as I've heard) so there wasn't outright abuse, and when the injury happened they weren't able to be callous-hearted enough to just neck him. Instead they most likely picked someone they thought could help the issue either way, i.e. TLC or culling, but they weren't brave enough to come to your face with him, most likely for fear of judgement. Some people are so tender-hearted they're cruel, but not by choice, and with all the right intentions. I don't think he's some clear-cut abuse case.

There's been plenty of cases I don't tell extended family or friends about because some people automatically cry 'animal abuse!' whenever they see an injured, emaciated, or ill animal, which is just plain daft and ignorant. It's saddening how many beloved pets have had the RSPCA called on them, and have been seized and euthanized as 'abuse cases' because they had a condition which was either untreatable or in treatment, or they were just plain old, or it looked bad, no matter how bad it actually was. The rangers here have the legal power to perform on-the-spot killings of any skinny animal, no need to know why they're underweight or whether they're improving or not. That's insane. I'm certainly not against the RSPCA stepping in to deal with abused or neglected animals but their mistakes aren't any nicer just because they do good things as well. Those are irreplaceable lives and characters (and sometimes, genetics) hanging in the balance, being wiped out because someone didn't take the time to learn what the situation was... I know, pointless complaint. I'm not 'bashing' them, I hope you understand.

I'd still personally get him company of his own kind because when he hits adulthood, he's most likely going to want a goose around... But whatever you do, hopefully it works out.

Best wishes with him.
Very pertinent points, as always, chooks. I was thinking a similar thing, but with slightly fewer words..
wink.png
I was thinking that, even though Vickers feels so upset about it all, she´s actually helping this poor little feller more than anyone so far, and he´ll be so much better for it afterwards. And sick animals are so 'understanding'...until they´re better, then off they go, don´t even look round, and it´s all back to how it was before...very rewarding.
big_smile.png

Haha, what more can you add??!!

Ah lol, thanks you two. I know 'succinct' isn't a word that's going to be associated with me anytime soon. :rolleyes:

Best wishes.

How about eloquent?
Because your right that animals can understand our moods. Body language and tension/nervousness translate very well to animals. I just would not have known how to explain the concept as clearly as you did.

How about eloquent?
Because your right that animals can understand our moods. Body language and tension/nervousness translate very well to animals. I just would not have known how to explain the concept as clearly as you did.

Well, that's a nice way to look at it, thanks. :)

Best wishes.

Back
Top Bottom