Goslings of 2014 Hatch-a-long

I was thinking about getting a donkey here on our bit of dirt.  But I need to do some research first.  We had thought about sheep, but I worry about loose dogs.  A donkey could be fun.  Do they need other donkeys for company, like horses do?

A donkey would take care of the dogs, thats why i got this one, for a gaurdian donkey to protect the animals from coyotes and dogs. They are in the horse family but from what i have seen with the one my dad had and now this one, they arent really a social animal like horses or geese. She was with other donkeys where i bought her but all of them where by themselves, in the same pasture but just in different areas. They seem to be happy with what ever they are with or not with. When i unloaded this one from the trailer the horses were really interested in her, "talking" to her and squealing. Like a bunch of men seeing a pretty girl. She didnt even acknowledge them just gave them a look like "eww you are soo out of my league" lol she was more interested in staying with the geese. Im sure some would disagree because they are herd animals but they do fine with being the only one as a gaurdian and will gaurd better by themselves.
Pet wise i would compare them to a goose, they are a very unique animal comical but smart.

My Cotton Patch Goose was sitting on 3 eggs yesterday when our dog escaped our yard through an uncovered culvert and killed "Gracie" our favorite goose. in a panic; I scoured all the info I had downloaded from this site on incubating geese eggs. The next morning we checked

My Cotton Patch Goose was sitting on 3 eggs yesterday when our dog escaped our yard through an uncovered culvert and killed "Gracie" our favorite goose. in a panic; I scoured all the info I had downloaded from this site on incubating geese eggs. The next morning we checked
I am so sorry, are you incubating the eggs? you didn't finish.

Sorry about that. (I'm doing this on my phone)..... the next morning we found Gracie's daughter, "Harriet'', sitting on the eggs! I don't know if they had been sharing a nest or that she just took matters in her own hands, but I'm sure glad she did. if there are no more surprises we should hatch around March 25th. (PS Dog went bye bye)

My dad lives down the road from a herd of goats and they have a guard donkey who acts just like the goats, gets up on the rock out cropping with them. Just makes me want one all the more,.  

Thats what i meant by being happy with what they are with. The one my dad had was with his cattle just like the cows it would lay down when they did and eat when they did etc

Sorry about that. (I'm doing this on my phone)..... the next morning we found Gracie's daughter, "Harriet'', sitting on the eggs! I don't know if they had been sharing a nest or that she just took matters in her own hands, but I'm sure glad she did. if there are no more surprises we should hatch around March 25th. (PS Dog went bye bye)
Too bad about the dog sometimes that just the way it has to be, but good news Harriet took over. just thinking if dog was able to get to Gracie then any other pred can get to Harriet you might want to consider moving her into a secure building and letting her finish brooding there.

My dad lives down the road from a herd of goats and they have a guard donkey who acts just like the goats, gets up on the rock out cropping with them. Just makes me want one all the more,.  
I have 3 guard donkeys and they typically do a great job keeping dogs and coyotes off the property. One thing to be aware of if they see you with your own dog a lot they will only chase her off if she is chasing them.

Back
Top Bottom