Goslings of 2014 Hatch-a-long

I have three batches of west of englands in the incubators.
7 due this weekend, 3 a couple of days later and then a woopping 12 after that!
the 7 are not quite there yet and their have not lost the correct weight yet.
I have to admit i have only put water in the incubator twice so far. Is this where im going wrong?
I always assumed that more humidity made them keep the weight?
The room humidity is around 25%.

I also was a complete idiot- i dropped one of the eggs onto a hard surface by accident. Egg was on day 18.
Going to have to see if my numptyness has caused it to die. I luckily did not crack the shell.

Last edited:
Wow that is quite a few goslings! Good luck!
I have to admit i have only put water in the incubator twice so far. Is this where im going wrong?

Hi again, Mystil. other than the thread that I recommended, I have only read a bit about it, and I do remember that Pilgrims and Brecons, (I assume WoE would be similar) need less humidity. I read that with a still-air incubator, it´s best not to add water unless the air-cells look enormous, in which case, of course, the eggs would need the extra moisture. But maybe you could direct your question to Ruru or Iain Utah, they are pretty knowledgeable about it. They´re in the US, of course, so I don´t know if the general air humidity will be much different or not?
As for me, I´d love to see the hatchlings, as I love the auto-sexing breeds. Hope it works out well for you.

I also was a complete idiot- i dropped one of the eggs onto a hard surface by accident. Egg was on day 18.
Going to have to see if my numptyness has caused it to die. I luckily did not crack the shell.

Are you cooling them everyday? That is something that shouldnt be overlooked. Start out with 10 minutes then add 5 minutes per week until it is 20 minutes then keep it at 20 minutes per day until lockdown

Thanks. I did try to find info about it but could not find anything definate.
It doesnt help my laptop is dead and i have to use my phone. Thanks for the advice.
I will attempt to contact them, if my phone will play ball.
Now i just have to do some research on which sex is what.
I do vaguely remember that the girls have grey on their beaks
and boys have pink beaks...hmm need to do more research.

Are you cooling them everyday? That is something that shouldnt be overlooked. Start out with 10 minutes then add 5 minutes per week until it is 20 minutes then keep it at 20 minutes per day until lockdown

Yes i went from 5min to 10 and they are now on 15mins cooling.
Im following petes guide and chris ashtons guide.

Is it okay to leave them cooling for 20mins? I was always afraid of leaving them out any longer as our house is quite cold as it is.

Last edited:
Oh, well done 8, someone who knows!
big_smile.png

Yes i went from 5min to 10 and they are now on 15mins cooling.
Im following petes guide and chris ashtons guide.

Is it okay to leave them cooling for 20mins? I was always afraid of leaving them out any longer as our house is quite cold as it is.
Ok to leave them 20 mins, as the goose does this. Pete´s guide is good to go by, if I remember correctly, he lives not far from you. And Chris Ashton´s book is brilliant. Well, it would be, of course! And there´s tons of information in there for incubating. I hope all goes well.

Yesterday, knowing one of my African girls had gone broody despite not having any eggs, I relocated her to a safer nest location and gave her three eggs from my white African gander & brown/white splash African goose (hoping to get color sexed white females). She took to the nest immediately and is sitting tight on the eggs this morning. I guess you could say that I get to join the hatchalong officially now.
big_smile.png

Yesterday, knowing one of my African girls had gone broody despite not having any eggs, I relocated her to a safer nest location and gave her three eggs from my white African gander & brown/white splash African goose (hoping to get color sexed white females). She took to the nest immediately and is sitting tight on the eggs this morning. I guess you could say that I get to join the hatchalong officially now.
big_smile.png
wee.gif

Oh, well done 8, someone who knows!  :D
Ok to leave them 20 mins, as the goose does this.  Pete´s guide is good to go by, if I remember correctly, he lives not far from you.  And Chris Ashton´s book is brilliant.  Well, it would be, of course!  And there´s tons of information in there for incubating.  I hope all goes well.

Thank you. 20 mins it is then.

Congrts Iain utah on joining us!

Back
Top Bottom