Goslings of 2014 Hatch-a-long

I can definetly picture the mayhem. I'm very, very lucky! I have herding dogs - when the chickens don't come and put themselves away when I call, I call one of the dogs! The chickens learn really quickly to go to their pen when I call (and the ducks.... and the geese). Generally I just have to take a dog with me when its time to put everyone away and they all race to their pens. I've found the easiest way to train the chickens is to let them out an hour before dark to start with, then they are easier to put away because they go into roost, this works well for me because I feed right before "bed time" so they want to be in the pen.

I am so lucky! I am able to free range all day and everyone puts themselves to bed, chickens and geese alike. I can count on 1 hand the times a stray chicken/rooster has appeared before I have opened the door. I don't know who's more confused me or them! :lol:

Quote: It shouldn´t what?...shouldn´t be later starting the breeding season? Ok, maybe not, then. I´m just going by what I see here in Brazil and what I read on the threads. Whichever, thyere´ll be eggs at some point!
big_smile.png
Have fun!

It shouldn´t what?...shouldn´t be later starting the breeding season? Ok, maybe not, then. I´m just going by what I see here in Brazil and what I read on the threads. Whichever, thyere´ll be eggs at some point!
big_smile.png
Have fun!
I think that was in reference to the auto-sexing being eliminated.

I am so lucky! I am able to free range all day and everyone puts themselves to bed, chickens and geese alike. I can count on 1 hand the times a stray chicken/rooster has appeared before I have opened the door. I don't know who's more confused me or them! :lol:

I hope to have my flock that well trained one day. But we are just starting and the eldest birds we have are 7 weeks. So we are trying to teach the birds, and I swear they are teaching us at the same time, lol. I did clip most of their wings to prevent them from flying, if they had gotten over a fence they would have been killed by dogs, so I did that that very night. I really hadn't wanted to take that defense away, but saw no other choice. Maybe when they are older and know where home is I can let them grow their wings back. Thank goodness we have not had a repeat of that fiasco since.

Ash-Rose:::: did you have to make your peep holes yourself or where the goslings able to do it? I had 5 fertile perfect eggs ready to hatch. 2 of them made their own peep holes. i waited 2 days for the other 3 to come out. By the time I realized i needed to step in and help the 2 peeped goslings completed out of the egg, it was too late and the other 3 had suffocated.

Ok heres the story yesterday out of my eight eggs one died in shell and the reason for that is because it had a deformed beak !
And one hatched yesterday and it was a BAfricanXEmbden and it wasent black! But lavender! (was even more suprised that my other 2 AfricanXembden eggs were also lavender and the one that died in egg was also lavender! ) So anyway im guessing these lavender goseys are all males so i put one up for adoption to the embden which managed to sqush her baby! But shes happy with the lavender well ive 3 eggs in the bator still pipping and they are black so im happy with that but they arent AfricanXEmbden but the other cross which i mentioned before.
Well atleast we know that when a BAfrican is cross with a embden the males are lavender and females are black im curious of what the lavender africans will look like when older so i guess 8 your genetic theory which you mentioned weeks ago was correct :)

Back
Top Bottom