Goslings of 2014 Hatch-a-long

Lovely pic of them enjoying the puddle!  So, Moaning Malevolent Myrtle Malcolm is getting some feathers!  And grey ones, too.  Are they much paler than Moose´s grey feathers?  I´m guessing so.  Shame about the other egg.  But you never know, you may just have a pair there already!  I have an 8-month-old grey mixed-breed that I just cannot decide what it is.  I think it´s a butch female!  Then the next day I think it´s a soppy male!  It mostly behaves like a female.  There´s just something about Moose in that pic that makes me think female...I think it´s the depth of the belly.  And that Moose is so easy-going!
I hope your chicken soon goes broody.  Will you pop 2 or 3 eggs under her?

Yup. They look pale even though they are just stumps. :D He/she/it will be pretty. It has crossed my mind several times that Moose is a girl but I will just have to see I suppose. He still likes to get on my knee sometimes and doesn't like to share me! :lol: I don't know if it means anything but he did develop a flap of skin underneath but it's off to the right. I will try for a pic tomorrow.
I will wait and see if broody really is broody before I make a decision. There are some Toulouse X Brecon Buff eggs I've got my eye on though. :D She was making that unmistakable broody cluck as well as picking fights with the other hens and I swear at one point she was flirting with one of the roosters! :lol:

Thank you J, Miss Lydia, Animaladdictions and Starfire. I am so pleased with the easter babies! The two are still in the incubator but might take them out before I go to bed. Have another piped in there and one more due in a day or two.

Then the other incubator I have 3 staggered hatches. I am pooped out having to help all these goslings to hatch due to the membrane getting to hard too fast....
So good night all sweet goosey dreams to all !!!!!

Yup. They look pale even though they are just stumps.
big_smile.png
He/she/it will be pretty. It has crossed my mind several times that Moose is a girl but I will just have to see I suppose. He still likes to get on my knee sometimes and doesn't like to share me!
lol.png
I don't know if it means anything but he did develop a flap of skin underneath but it's off to the right. I will try for a pic tomorrow.
I will wait and see if broody really is broody before I make a decision. There are some Toulouse X Brecon Buff eggs I've got my eye on though.
big_smile.png
She was making that unmistakable broody cluck as well as picking fights with the other hens and I swear at one point she was flirting with one of the roosters!
lol.png
Moose sounds so sweet. Although in some breeds the males can have what look like little trousers, and sometimes they even have the lobe, the females will often tend to have a lower belly and develop the lobe earlier. The lobe can be in the middle, off to the side, or be two lobes. Males appear to stand taller on their legs, too. With my first geese, mixed-breed, they didn´t get a lobe until after they´d nested, at 2 years old. But my common (pilgrim-type) girls get a lobe early and the boys never do.
ToulousexBrecon sounds very interesting, and sounds promising with the hen.
big_smile.png
Except for the flirting bit, that won´t do!
lol.png

Thank you J, Miss Lydia, Animaladdictions and Starfire. I am so pleased with the easter babies! The two are still in the incubator but might take them out before I go to bed. Have another piped in there and one more due in a day or two.

Then the other incubator I have 3 staggered hatches. I am pooped out having to help all these goslings to hatch due to the membrane getting to hard too fast....
So good night all sweet goosey dreams to all !!!!!
yuckyuck.gif
Haha, you´ll be 'pooped' out for sure with all those goslings! Congrats.

I am getting pretty excited to have babies at our place. My 1st scovy broody is at the point where she thinks her eggs should be hatching, but I can't reach her nest to candle eggs..... so we wait and see like momma duck. I also have a buff dewlap broody on day 30, but I'm afraid all of her eggs are duds. But I have an African broody due to hatch babies next weekend, a production Toulouse broody due to hatch babies in two weeks (including 1-2 white Africans that I slipped into her nest), and a trio of white African eggs in my neighbor's bator due in 3 weeks. I also have a number of dewlaps still laying and building up their nests. Assuming they go broody, I'll have even more goslings to look forward to in another month or so.

Hard to believe I have so many upcoming possible hatch dates without an incubator going in my house.

I am getting pretty excited to have babies at our place.  My 1st scovy broody is at the point where she thinks her eggs should be hatching, but I can't reach her nest to candle eggs..... so we wait and see like momma duck.   I also have a buff dewlap broody on day 30, but I'm afraid all of her eggs are duds.  But I have an African broody due to hatch babies next weekend, a production Toulouse broody due to hatch babies in two weeks (including 1-2 white Africans that I slipped into her nest), and a trio of white African eggs in my neighbor's bator due in 3 weeks.   I also have a number of dewlaps still laying and building up their nests.  Assuming they go broody, I'll have even more goslings to look forward to in another month or so.

Hard to believe I have so many upcoming possible hatch dates without an incubator going in my house.

Good luck! :fl

As sad as it is to say, I am glad my babies are older now. A friend of the family who lives 2 houses down just lost everything to a house fire yesterday. We took him in as he is 87 and has no where to go and no money. He got out thanks to my brother in law. My brother in law broke down the fence and ripped a window out, then wrestled him out as he was trying to get inside to save his momma cat and her 3 kittens. (the kittens were found alive and are with my sister, at the vet she works at being check today, 1 was a little burned). he is staying with me as I have an apartment that was empty, my parents are taking him shopping today for clothes. It's really horrible.
Please post pics so I can get my gosling fix through you guys please.

Last edited:
Good luck!
fl.gif

As sad as it is to say, I am glad my babies are older now. A friend of the family who lives 2 houses down just lost everything to a house fire yesterday. We took him in as he is 87 and has no where to go and no money. He got out thanks to my brother in law. My brother in law broke down the fence and ripped a window out, then wrestled him out as he was trying to get inside to save his momma cat and her 3 kittens. (the kittens were found alive and are with my sister, at the vet she works at being check today, 1 was a little burned). he is staying with me as I have an apartment that was empty, my parents are taking him shopping today for clothes. It's really horrible.
Please post pics so I can get my gosling fix through you guys please.
That is so sweet to do this for your neighbor.

I may now have a broody goose, Missy came out this morning walked around a while with Sam had a bath ate grass and is now back inside, I have said this before so won't know for sure for a couple days but she laid # 26 yesterday so she isn't in there to lay an egg.

Back
Top Bottom