Goslings of 2014 Hatch-a-long

Holy cow!! #4 has piped..Another wrong way!! I wasn't thinking this one would make it, last time I candled it , it was so far behind I thought I would just let it go until the hatch was over and make the call.. Noticed the new chick that was out was wreaking havoc in the hbator so opened it up to set the egg right and would you know it, beak sticking out..lol.. I was so surprised I almost dropped it!

Went ahead and took the newbie out.. pretty well dry but weak, put him under a heat lamp with wrong way

Holy cow!! #4 has piped..Another wrong way!! I wasn't thinking this one would make it, last time I candled it , it was so far behind I thought I would just let it go until the hatch was over and make the call.. Noticed the new chick that was out was wreaking havoc in the hbator so opened it up to set the egg right and would you know it, beak sticking out..lol.. I was so surprised I almost dropped it!

Went ahead and took the newbie out.. pretty well dry but weak, put him under a heat lamp with wrong way

how cool
big_smile.png
Wrong way should be pecking at the food in the morning. Wonder if wrong way 2 will get itself out.

how cool
big_smile.png
Wrong way should be pecking at the food in the morning. Wonder if wrong way 2 will get itself out.

I sure hope so... Going to leave it alone and just watch it... its got a clear breathing hole so we shall see.. Its positioned different than the first one so maybe it will have the room WW #1 didn't..

Wrong way #1 has already been pecking at food, noticed it about an hour ago...

I sure hope so... Going to leave it alone and just watch it... its got a clear breathing hole so we shall see.. Its positioned different than the first one so maybe it will have the room WW #1 didn't..

wink.png

Just keep in mind that the yolk sac that they absorb is supposed to be able to sustain them for up to 3 days. So if it takes more than 24 hours to learn where food and water is, don't worry. They've still got time before they will actually need it.

8 Congrats to you also! and anyone else I may have missed. Still waiting here for Missy although she is going in more often, but even if we don't get any goslings it's so much fun seeing all of ya'lls.
smile.png

There's over 100 posts since yesterday morning..... such a chatty bunch! Sorry I'm not doing a marathon multi-quote to reply to everyone, but glad to see hatching season is a big success this year for most everyone. I finally have candling updates and very sad news to share. As a few of you know, I moved onto my current property 3 years ago and it came with a pair of male geese. Hubby and I thought it would be nice to hatch babies to give to them and on February 24, 2012, I hatched my very 1st four African goslings. Two were girls and after the ganders adopted and raised the 4-pack, each took a girl for a mate. Sometime in the early morning hours yesterday, a raccoon got one of my girls and her mate appears lost without her. She was so imprinted with me that as part of her daily routine, she would climb in my lap, nibble on my clothes and drive off any other geese that wanted to come near me. Losing her is a terrible blow and hubby and I are both pretty wrecked.
hit.gif

I believe the best thing we can do for our gander is to give him more babies to raise so we candled every broody's nest last night. In my deceased girl's sister's nest (which she shared), I have 4 eggs ranging from day 15-21. In Beignet's nest I have 4 eggs between day 15-21 and one is a strong swimming white African. In my buff dewlap's nest, to my great surprise I have 8 eggs between day 7-15, and in my incubator (which my neighbor's kid is using), I have 3 white African eggs on day 21. In all, I have 19 eggs developing and now I am impatient and anxious to get at least a few to hatch to give to my grieving boy.
fl.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom