Goslings of 2014 Hatch-a-long

I just cant tell for sure with using a flashlight if it has internally pipped or not. I also wear hearing aids and still haven't heard any clicking or peeping even when I hold the egg to my ear. But it is still wiggling. I think I will keep an eye on it thought the day and maybe consider a small hole in the end by the end of the day. Sound like a good plan?
I´m sure even with hearing aids you´d have heard it cheeping if indeed it was cheeping. so, it´s possibly not internally pipped yet.
fl.gif
I have a small LED flash light that works great for candling.
They´re amazing aren´t they? Just right for the job!

Oh so many Hugs and Prayers to you and Mom. Been there and it's a ruff patch.

Congrads on the LONG incubation ;)

Thanks psue! We appreciate all the prayers!! It is a ruff situation.

Long incubation indeed! Atleast i dont have to be turned 3 times a day lol i just hope this one sticks i didnt quite make it last time.

Ok, so 3 geese hatched out of 5 and are doing great...Working on a brooder for our back porch but as of now they are in the house still (wow are they messy!!) I was told that the eggs were either Buff or Embden or a mixture of the two... Here is a photo I took of them outside today.. What say you?? I know nothing about geese or breeds so I'll let you experts school me here..

Ok, so 3 geese hatched out of 5 and are doing great...Working on a brooder for our back porch but as of now they are in the house still (wow are they messy!!) I was told that the eggs were either Buff or Embden or a mixture of the two... Here is a photo I took of them outside today.. What say you?? I know nothing about geese or breeds so I'll let you experts school me here..

yay for 3 outta five if you can go by Embden ( i dont know if it works this time) I'd say 2 girls and a boy. Girls are dark at hatch and boys are light

will having two females and a male be ok?? are geese more of a one on one animal or will the male be ok with both??
Dear little souls, well done. And although the male won´t mind, often the less favourite female is a little neglected.

For example, I bought a trio, and after keeping them in a trio for 2 seasons, I can definitely say that the undergoose needs her own mate, as the favourite goose is the one that gets help from the gander with the babies, whereas the undergoose gets her babies stolen from her by the favourite goose. The gander was actually taking the goslings from the mum to his favourite.
I also had another gander with 3 almost inseperable sister geese. He has his favourite, but mated with the others. I let him stay with his favourite, but when the eggs of one of the other geese didn´t hatch, yet the eggs of the third did, those two geese set up family to raise the 4 that hatched, behaved like a pair, and were very happy like that raising 'their' brood. And the gander was happy with his favourite goose and his little family of 7 goslings. They´ve become one flock, now, as the 3 sisters have a very strong bond, and the gander just tags on behind with his precious babies (they´re huge!)
big_smile.png
This year they´ll all have their own gander.

So, after all that, geese in pairs are ideal, although a trio is ok.

She hasnt foaled yet and its running me to death!! Checkin on her all the time makin sure shes ok and not in labor lol
Im a little slower now, if all goes well and depending how far a long i should hatch in november or december myself ;)

Congratulations 8! :fl. Hope all goes well and we can see pictures of all you hatches when they arrive, including your very special hatch ;). In November/December as well!
Sorry about your mom. You are doing everything you can to keep her spirits up. I hope the donk hatches soon so she can enjoy the foal until you hatch. :love is the best medicine right now.

Dear little souls, well done.  And although the male won´t mind, often the less favourite female is a little neglected.

For example, I bought a trio, and after keeping them in a trio for 2 seasons, I can definitely say that the undergoose needs her own mate, as the favourite goose is the one that gets help from the gander with the babies, whereas the undergoose gets her babies stolen from her by the favourite goose.  The gander was actually taking the goslings from the mum to his favourite.  
I also had another gander with 3 almost inseperable sister geese.  He has his favourite, but mated with the others.  I let him stay with his favourite, but when the eggs of one of the other geese didn´t hatch, yet the eggs of the third did, those two geese set up family to raise the 4 that hatched, behaved like a pair, and were very happy like that raising 'their' brood.   And the gander was happy with his favourite goose and his little family of 7 goslings.  They´ve become one flock, now, as the 3 sisters have a very strong bond, and the gander just tags on behind with his precious babies (they´re huge!) :D   This year they´ll all have their own gander.

So, after all that, geese in pairs are ideal, although a trio is ok. 

If you can't pair them up, for space reasons, should you separate the females once some start sitting? Will the females fight over the nests and goslings? Would it be possible to maybe hatch some goslings and give each mom goose a couple babies to raise? Or will that not work?

Back
Top Bottom