Goslings of 2014 Hatch-a-long

Sheesh! I was not expecting that. I thought toulouse were too heavy? But I guess Moose being a production type is lighter. There are a couple of thousand pink footed geese that winter on the loch at the back of the house. They arrive mid September. I don't think I want them mingling with wild geese.
I doubt they´d go far, especially if they have their own girlies at home.......My babies (youngest now are 6 months) just lift straight up when they beat their wings. they love the sensation they get, and it just takes one and the lot fly off to the other end of the yard...then all back again until they´ve got it out of their system. And their parents now have new feathers in, so join in the fun.
love.gif

They don´t look to go out of the place normally, though, only 2 have done that by accident, and didn´t do it again. They normally pull up before going over the fence.
I´m sure yours will be fine.

Well that doesn't sound so bad. I suppose I will just see what happens. There is plenty of room if they don't stray too far as we're surrounded by sheep fields. At least I know if the get too bold I can always clip their wings.

Posted this on the goose breeding thread but got no answers so I'll try here:

So I just raided the bushes and took the eggs out of an often-visited, but never-brooded goose nest. Out of the 16 eggs (!) upon candling, I found 8 with detached air sacs and 2 with what I would call "loose" air sacs. There was at least one with a tiny air sac, and one air sac I couldn't find at all. All my geese are not even a year old, so this is their first season. Do I have a defective goose or is it a young goose problem? I'm going to try to incubate and see what happens. I've seen others have good luck with detached air sacs, so it could work for me, too, if I'm careful?
idunno.gif
fl.gif

Update: Set them Sun, candled last night and one of the ones with detached air sac was oozing goop into my freshly cleaned incubator.
rant.gif
It got tossed.
sickbyc.gif

I came home to a HUGE surprise today!! Beignet (my awesome broody Toulouse) hatched a buff female.
wee.gif
Hubby says there is at least one more gosling more recently hatched underneath her, but they are well hidden by momma and I have no idea what they look like yet.

Me too... actually, I suspect, most of us would on these threads! and I live 4 miles from the middle of nowhere, and we get internet....mostly, at least! haha
He looks beautiful! Whatever his name is! He looks very much like the gander called Halloween. whose gander was he? Can´t remember...there was a pic of him around here just recently.
frow.gif
Halloween was hatched here.

At what age do they start trying to fly? I absolutely can't let mine fly, they get out of my yard and they are in danger. Cars, dogs, crazy people with guns, all are around my house and would take out any bird that got out.

Mine stay inside my 4ft fence.... of course when anyone tries they hear " This is a NO FLY zone!"
gig.gif

Posted this on the goose breeding thread but got no answers so I'll try here:

So I just raided the bushes and took the eggs out of an often-visited, but never-brooded goose nest.  Out of the 16 eggs (!) upon candling, I found 8 with detached air sacs and 2 with what I would call "loose" air sacs.  There was at least one with a tiny air sac, and one air sac I couldn't find at all.  All my geese are not even a year old, so this is their first season.  Do I have a defective goose or is it a young goose problem?  I'm going to try to incubate and see what happens.  I've seen others have good luck with detached air sacs, so it could work for me, too, if I'm careful?  :idunno :fl

Update:  Set them Sun, candled last night and one of the ones with detached air sac was oozing goop into my freshly cleaned incubator.  :rant   It got tossed.  :sick

Yes, detached air cells can still lead to goslings!

Hope, Miracle, and Wonder are proof of that :)

Back
Top Bottom