Goslings of 2014 Hatch-a-long

Photo bomb!!!

Love these little ones, they have for sure stolen my heart...and to think, I didn't think I even liked nor wanted geese... 3 1/2 weeks old...

From the feathering coming in, it looks like the two smaller ones will be pure white and the larger one will be grey... The lady who gave me the eggs said they would be Embden, Buff or a combination of the two... The largest one (AKA Wrongway) I am hoping is a male...

Today I got a big surprise after I got home from dialysis!!! My beautiful white Sebastopol Samantha who is going on I believe 8 years old hatched out two goslings this morning or last night. I am thrilled because there is a beautiful solid grey female and a grey saddleback which I am not sure of sex. But I have waited years since she had her other grey female which a white chinese gander that was sent to me by accident, drowned my grey. I know he did because I caught him trying to drowned Spicie my grey splash gander from that same hatch years ago.

Anyway here are the new kids on the block here...

There are still eggs in with Samantha. So not sure if any more will hatch...???
Wow, Ruru, you´ll have to go to dialysis more often! ;) (joking, of course), as I remember recently when you came back home after going to dialysis, you had a nice surprise! They´re beautiful, I hope she hatches out more wonders for you! What a delight.

Last edited:
Here are pics of my goslings as of today. The older pair are almost big enough to integrate (with parents) into main group yard. The little African still has a ways to go before ready to venture into the African group, but will at least get to move to an temporary outdoor pen by next week. I only know what gender the buff Toulouse is. Serv, any ideas what gender the grey Toulouse and brown African are??

They sure are cute.

Ok, now I am really confused. I let everyone out this morning and Jas and Sniw go straight to the pool, which is normal. What is not normal is Snow got on top of Jasmine, she arched her butt up, and he tried to mate her. They turn 16 weeks tomorrow, so aren't they too young for this? I thought 8 months old was the earliest they would/could start mating and laying. But I could tell that is exactly what was going on, could see Snow's equipment and Jasmine had her rear up. I don't think Snow hit the target, but he sure was trying. Is this normal behavior? I first thought it was a dominance thing, but now it is looking like mating behavior. Please help.

Ok, now I am really confused. I let everyone out this morning and Jas and Sniw go straight to the pool, which is normal. What is not normal is Snow got on top of Jasmine, she arched her butt up, and he tried to mate her. They turn 16 weeks tomorrow, so aren't they too young for this? I thought 8 months old was the earliest they would/could start mating and laying. But I could tell that is exactly what was going on, could see Snow's equipment and Jasmine had her rear up. I don't think Snow hit the target, but he sure was trying. Is this normal behavior? I first thought it was a dominance thing, but now it is looking like mating behavior. Please help.
You've heard the term " Practice makes perfect" haven't you?

Hi i really want geese but lot sure if I will get any but I was wondering what would be a good first time breed

Hi i really want geese but lot sure if I will get any but I was wondering what would be a good first time breed
welcome-byc.gif
This may help you decide on the breed for you,.https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/618185/raising-geese-101

From reading here on the goose thread. looks like Buff, Pilgrim and Sebbies are in the top 5 as being gentle.

:welcome I have never had anything other than Chinese and Africans, and they can be a handful if not propery handled and socialized. If properly raised they can be very loving. Mine are great with me, terrors to any visitors.

I found this pic today and is very close to what Missy egg looks like
aircells.gif
so we shall see if that's the case then 10 more days.

I have a question the pool in that part of the fenced property has the largest and deepest pool in it, should I drain it or will they not take it to it. This has me worried it's not right next to their house but up on the hill behind it, but it's their pool There's ways to get in safely but not sure what to do to make it easy for a gosling to get out of it.
I have a cement mixing tub I can fill down closer to their house. If I dump the big one then 6 ducks will be without a pool for several weeks. I just want to keep this gosling safe though. Now look at Pete's at day 25
80310_graphic-candle1.jpg

There's not too much difference. actually looks more like day 14. lol

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom