Goslings of 2014 Hatch-a-long

He´s not been on for about 10 days. Maybe he´s gone off to get the fox.
Oh, how sweet, looks like she wants to be a mom to them. Do you take them out there with Missy and Sam while you have time to stay there with them?
I hope all is well with serv and his flocks.

I have been taking the gozzies out a coupe times a day to visit. but I don't let them down on the ground yet they sit in my lap, The weather hasn't been cooperating though rainy cloudy and cool.
sad.png
tomorrow is suppose to be better though so hopefully i can take them up where the grass is growing good and let them run around some and Hopefully Missy and Sammy will come along, Missy will not leave the nest and I went in yesterday and put new bedding in. Also wanted to ask ya'll if it's normal for them to lose color in their legs and feet hers are almost white.

I hope all is well with serv and his flocks.

I have been taking the gozzies out a coupe times a day to visit. but I don't let them down on the ground yet they sit in my lap, The weather hasn't been cooperating though rainy cloudy and cool.
sad.png
tomorrow is suppose to be better though so hopefully i can take them up where the grass is growing good and let them run around some and Hopefully Missy and Sammy will come along, Missy will not leave the nest and I went in yesterday and put new bedding in. Also wanted to ask ya'll if it's normal for them to lose color in their legs and feet hers are almost white.
If you´re not going to get her to adopt them now (by popping them under her), I´d get her up off that nest and get rid of it so she has to get up and about and eat. Don´t let her in there if possible, esp during the day.
I had one like that, but when her sister had new gozzies, she left her nest that I´d destroyed over and over, and went and played auntie to them, happy as anything.
Geese often are difficult to get off the nest when they have no goslings to get them off. But you need to get her off, I´d say.
Have fun tomorrow with your babies.

If you´re not going to get her to adopt them now (by popping them under her), I´d get her up off that nest and get rid of it so she has to get up and about and eat. Don´t let her in there if possible, esp during the day.
I had one like that, but when her sister had new gozzies, she left her nest that I´d destroyed over and over, and went and played auntie to them, happy as anything.
Geese often are difficult to get off the nest when they have no goslings to get them off. But you need to get her off, I´d say.
Have fun tomorrow with your babies.

Agreed. Either you trick them into thinking it's her babies from the get-go, or you just try to get her to accept them later on (when they are bigger) as mere flockmates.

Mildred is a Brown chinese and her babies are/were 2 white chinese, 1 brown chinese and 1 pied chinese. They are two days old today.
The little pied was killed by a snapping turtle yesterday, we didnt know that they had came to the pond until it was too late...with everything that has been going on we hadnt had time to check the pond.
I waited for them to surface for air and then i shot both turtles, im not having that happen again, once a week now i will set traps for them

Oh, what a shame! Goodness, you guys have so many more dangers there than we have here. And the pied! :( There´s always something, eh?

Here are the secret service geese lol these are Ethels goslings at 1 week old with their 2 mommies and 4 daddies lol

Gorgeous.

My African gosling Gertrude, is still suffering from hot, swollen legs. Her limp is much better now that she has been getting niacin daily, but they are still hot, swollen, and are very pale compared to the other Africans. I am still giving her 1cc of a vitamin and mineral supplement daily in case it's perosis. What else can I do for Gertrude? Should I increase the supplement to 2cc daily? I don't want to overdose the poor baby, but I don't like they way her legs are. She has no cuts or bruises on them, never did.

My African gosling Gertrude, is still suffering from hot, swollen legs. Her limp is much better now that she has been getting niacin daily, but they are still hot, swollen, and are very pale compared to the other Africans. I am still giving her 1cc of a vitamin and mineral supplement daily in case it's perosis. What else can I do for Gertrude? Should I increase the supplement to 2cc daily? I don't want to overdose the poor baby, but I don't like they way her legs are. She has no cuts or bruises on them, never did.
Are you limiting her running around too, Maybe some rest would help also. Not total confinement but just not able to be running all over.

Are you limiting her running around too, Maybe some rest would help also. Not total confinement but just not able to be running all over. 

Yes we have been limiting her mobility. I just don't know what to make of this. It's been going on for close to 2 weeks. Now that her limp is much improved my biggest concern is the swelling and how pale her leg color is. I am assuming that the hotness is connected to the swelling and once we get under control the hotness will also go away. I am just not sure how the pale grey color of her legs ties into the other symptoms. She is growing and feathering out nicely. She is the same size as her hatch mate Jezzabelle.

Back
Top Bottom