Goslings of 2014 Hatch-a-long

Yes we have been limiting her mobility. I just don't know what to make of this. It's been going on for close to 2 weeks. Now that her limp is much improved my biggest concern is the swelling and how pale her leg color is. I am assuming that the hotness is connected to the swelling and once we get under control the hotness will also go away. I am just not sure how the pale grey color of her legs ties into the other symptoms. She is growing and feathering out nicely. She is the same size as her hatch mate Jezzabelle.
Baffling to say the least. I can't advise on upping the dose of vitamins but I do know that the B's are water soluble which means they go through the system fast so maybe trying to up the dose some would be a good idea. I don't know what all your giving her though. I need to go read up on this.

Baffling to say the least. I can't advise on upping the dose of vitamins but I do know that the B's are water soluble which means they go through the system fast so maybe trying to up the dose some would be a good idea. I don't know what all your giving her though. I need to go read up on this. 

I am giving her Poultry Cell, I couldn't find poultry Nutri drench. The poultry cell has manganese, manganese defiency is what I believe causes Perosis. I wanted the Nutri drench as it has the B vitamins in it as well, but I took what I could find. It does seem to be helping, but the doseage instructions where for full frown chickens, not a gosling so I have been going easy with it. I started her off with 2cc for the first 2 days then dropped her to 1cc daily. That helped her a lot, as did upping her niacin intake from twice a week to daily. But now I am afraid to increase or add any other supplements. I do not want to overload her kidneys or immune system. I have not tried antibiotics, I have been assuming that she got jostled or stepped on by the larger geese and I was dealing with a bad sprain. But the leg color makes me think there is something else going on, and her response to the supplements furthers this belief. I have thought for a while that Ideal Hatchery has inbred their stock. This is my 3rd gosling with leg/foot problems, and I also have a bunch of chickens with what looks like a single broken toe which is caused by defiencies in the hen that laid the egg they hatched from, all are from Ideal. That can't be coincidence.

I'm so sorry 8 about the gosling doesn't that break your heart, Glad you got them. and I love those babies and their own security guards, don't have to worry about those babies. On land anyway. 

These are well protected from everything except me, they love me being around them, which is more than i can say about Mildred. Mildred tries to attack me but her gossies love me its somewhat dangerous but i just pick her up and tell her shes a good momma but a bad girl.
Im also having problems picking babies to keep from Ethels group. All have ethels huge tuft. I have another Lavender in her group and a toulouse colored tufted that will look just like Tucker with a huge tuft. Also have a few paints or saddlebacks. Im back to 27 in my flock as of right now. I decided to grow these to feathered age then sell them like i did last year.
I saw another Turtle yesterday hes the size of a 55 gal drum lid, his day is coming very soon. Terrible disgusting things, i love all animals but these are stalking my geese at the waters edge and i will not tolerate that.

My African gosling Gertrude, is still suffering from hot, swollen legs. Her limp is much better now that she has been getting niacin daily, but they are still hot, swollen, and are very pale compared to the other Africans. I am still giving her 1cc of a vitamin and mineral supplement daily in case it's perosis. What else can I do for Gertrude? Should I increase the supplement to 2cc daily? I don't want to overdose the poor baby, but I don't like they way her legs are. She has no cuts or bruises on them, never did.
Perosis, from what I´ve read, affects the joints, and they need manganese and choline for improvement. Does the supplement have these things in it?
Edited to say I´ve now read your other post, and you know about the manganese, but I suspect you may need to add extra amount.

Last edited:
Perosis, from what I´ve read, affects the joints, and they need manganese and choline for improvement.  Does the supplement have these things in it?  

It has manganese but not choline in it. And that may explain why she responded but hasn't fully healed yet. Thanks LB. I will go hunt for some Nutri drench as that has both in it as well as niacin.

These are well protected from everything except me, they love me being around them, which is more than i can say about Mildred. Mildred tries to attack me but her gossies love me its somewhat dangerous but i just pick her up and tell her shes a good momma but a bad girl.
Im also having problems picking babies to keep from Ethels group. All have ethels huge tuft. I have another Lavender in her group and a toulouse colored tufted that will look just like Tucker with a huge tuft. Also have a few paints or saddlebacks. Im back to 27 in my flock as of right now. I decided to grow these to feathered age then sell them like i did last year.
I saw another Turtle yesterday hes the size of a 55 gal drum lid, his day is coming very soon. Terrible disgusting things, i love all animals but these are stalking my geese at the waters edge and i will not tolerate that.
Oh my goodness 8 hat is huge, I have seen pics on the duck thread where they have bit huge chunks out of adult ducks. scary things. Your going to have to post some pics of these babies lots more pics. I'll get some new ones of mine too.

It has manganese but not choline in it. And that may explain why she responded but hasn't fully healed yet. Thanks LB. I will go hunt for some Nutri drench as that has both in it as well as niacin.
I'm giving Nutri Drench to my new gozzies too. and looked a litte while ago to make sure it had everything and it does. Hope it will help your goose.

I am giving her Poultry Cell, I couldn't find poultry Nutri drench. The poultry cell has manganese, manganese defiency is what I believe causes Perosis. I wanted the Nutri drench as it has the B vitamins in it as well, but I took what I could find. It does seem to be helping, but the doseage instructions where for full frown chickens, not a gosling so I have been going easy with it. I started her off with 2cc for the first 2 days then dropped her to 1cc daily. That helped her a lot, as did upping her niacin intake from twice a week to daily. But now I am afraid to increase or add any other supplements. I do not want to overload her kidneys or immune system. I have not tried antibiotics, I have been assuming that she got jostled or stepped on by the larger geese and I was dealing with a bad sprain. But the leg color makes me think there is something else going on, and her response to the supplements furthers this belief. I have thought for a while that Ideal Hatchery has inbred their stock. This is my 3rd gosling with leg/foot problems, and I also have a bunch of chickens with what looks like a single broken toe which is caused by defiencies in the hen that laid the egg they hatched from, all are from Ideal. That can't be coincidence.
That is such a shame and just lets me know about my decision not to buy hatchery stock. You can order Nutri Drench from Jeffers I bought mine through them because it only comes in small bottle at TSC

Back
Top Bottom