Goslings of 2014 Hatch-a-long

My geese will start laying again in February.... thankfully, quite a ways away from July.  :)

Lol yeah. While I am very excited at the thought of getting some of your gorgeous white Africans, I do need this fall to build and get ready for next spring. It will be our first breeding season with our geese, and we are hoping to set some of our Cayuga duck eggs and some chicken eggs for hatching. So I will need a growing pen for the babies. My best hope would be to have some chickens and ducks go broody and hatch the babies, making the baby pen a broody pen, lol. But if that don't happen I have 2 bators ready and waiting, I just need to make sure that 1 is ready for your eggs when you send them. :D

From what everyone has said, first year geese are not great parents, and wouldn't hatch any goslings. So my geese will not be allowed to set any eggs next season. But, if my geese are interested, I may allow them to co-parent with me and then adopt the goslings when they are older. Similar to how Miss Lyd did her goslings with Missy.

Last edited:
Yearlings can be wonderful parents and except for certain breeds, like dewlap Toulouse and Canada geese, can do quite well in their 1st year. My favorite "dad" is my production Toulouse who was an exception breeder and father (both to his own and adopted goslings) as a yearling last year.... and again this year as a 2yo.

Lol yeah. While I am very excited at the thought of getting some of your gorgeous white Africans, I do need this fall to build and get ready for next spring. It will be our first breeding season with our geese, and we are hoping to set some of our Cayuga duck eggs and some chicken eggs for hatching. So I will need a growing pen for the babies. My best hope would be to have some chickens and ducks go broody and hatch the babies, making the baby pen a broody pen, lol. But if that don't happen I have 2 bators ready and waiting, I just need to make sure that 1 is ready for your eggs when you send them.
big_smile.png

From what everyone has said, first year geese are not great parents, and wouldn't hatch any goslings. So my geese will not be allowed to set any eggs next season. But, if my geese are interested, I may allow them to co-parent with me and then adopt the goslings when they are older. Similar to how Miss Lyd did her goslings with Missy.
Hi Starfire. It´s not that they don´t make good parents, geese seem to be born to be parents...and like Utah says, year-old ganders can be great. The iffy bit comes with the geese (females) that tend to lay smaller and sometimes infertile eggs, often don´t get their act together with the brooding, scatter eggs, crush eggs, etc...but not always.
I wait for the second year to get stronger goslings from more settled geese.
Doesn´t mean you can´t let yours have a go...it´s up to you.

Last edited:
Hi Starfire.  It´s not that they don´t make good parents, geese seem to be born to be parents...and like Utah says, year-old ganders can be great.  The iffy bit comes with the geese (females) that tend to lay smaller and sometimes infertile eggs, often don´t get their act together with the brooding, scatter eggs, crush eggs, etc...but not always.  
I wait for the second year to get stronger goslings from more settled geese.
Doesn´t mean you can´t let yours have a go...it´s up to you.   

I guess all I can do is wait and see how they act during breeding season. It wouldn't hurt to let them try with a couple eggs. If they hatch, great! If not, no buggy as I am not counting on goslings from them anyway.

I guess all I can do is wait and see how they act during breeding season. It wouldn't hurt to let them try with a couple eggs. If they hatch, great! If not, no buggy as I am not counting on goslings from them anyway.
Yep, it´s all interesting with them...and they and you will learn things for when you´re more serious about breeding them.
Most keep pairs or trios but i think actually ganders really prefer 1 goose. But keep in mind there maybe some fighting among the ganders come breeding season till they get paired off.
My ganders will oblige extra females, but they have their 'wife'. And the geese like to have their own gander, especially when they have goslings. I have 5 ganders with a number of geese down in the marsh, and so far no fighting. they´re working it out between themselves with the slightest jostling yet. The older gander swans about with his Mrs, totally disinterested in the others´ activities. I love to watch them.

Back
Top Bottom