Goslings of 2014 Hatch-a-long

Yehhhhhh I would definity give him a drop or two of vitiamin b complete or poutry drench if u have some, polivisol without iron works best for chickens but if that's all you have on hand give him two drops they do not like it.

Woopo hoooop good deal you go little guy!!
thumbsup.gif
I´ll give him a little bit, yes. But what do you think of this clicking that he´s still doing? I don´t know what causes it, I only know it´s the same noise I hear from the eggs when they´ve pipped.

Is it happening while he's breathing or is it something he's doing with his beak, like smacking his beak together kind of like grinding.
It´s that crackly sound they make in the egg. It´s when he´s breathing. My hubby says not to worry, he says the others did it too, but I´m too busy to sit there and hold them to keep them warm and fluff them up, that´s his job, so he pays more attention. I just hope he´s right, and that it´s not a lung problem. I can hear it when I put him to my ear, it´s coming from inside him.

He may need his nostrils cleaned out, he may have some gunk up there or even some blood try taken a qtip and cleaning it keep him warm and see if it doesn't help. I wouldnt worry about it to much he could still be trying to get used to using those little lungs yet.

Once he gets his head up then listen see if he's still doing it.

Well, early to tell yet. here´s a pic of it fluffed up and resting. It´s ok, very sleepy, but that´s prob because it´s out a bit early. But it´s still clicking, like they do before they hatch, so I don´t know if there´s a difficulty there..... Tomorrow will tell.
Preying for your power to stay on and your little one to make it through the night. This whole process has been, and continues to be, a miraculous one to me. You are amazing!!!

I thought about using these bins for my ducks.

Livin , is this a pilgrim too? her coloring and beak is exactly like Forest.

This is a cute pic! why do you have that one plant covered? is it just because you dont want them to eat it ? why are you giving them niacin? does it not come in the feed that you give them? how do you know how much to put in?

Aren't they very noisy though? Although I'm sure they are just as noisy as my calls.
I thought the same thing but the one that is noisy is the cayuga female! Oliver (pilgrim gander) only honks and gosling chatters when i call for him or he is hungry. I would LOVE to have calls! they look like stuffed animals=) I wish they werent so noisy.

. This whole process has been, and continues to be, a miraculous one to me. You are amazing!!!
I think all the people on this thread are amazing the way they care for their birds! The egg hatching business really stresses me out! I am stressed just by reading the posts!
I am very glad that we have BYC and this thread for the knowledge we all have gotten from it.

He may need his nostrils cleaned out, he may have some gunk up there or even some blood try taken a qtip and cleaning it keep him warm and see if it doesn't help. I wouldnt worry about it to much he could still be trying to get used to using those little lungs yet.

Once he gets his head up then listen see if he's still doing it.
Hubby, not knowing much about birds, has made a scientific and logical guess that it must simply be the lungs expanding and getting used to breathing. (He having held any other little unfortunate soul that didn´t hatch right, so therefore has the listening experience), so it could be that. The noise isn´t from the nares.
The baby´s still going, is getting up on its little legs, though its head is still heavy, but I put some Brewers Yeast in a little water and he´s had a sip or two, and has just started lifting its head, so looking good so far.
Preying for your power to stay on and your little one to make it through the night. This whole process has been, and continues to be, a miraculous one to me. You are amazing!!!
I think the goslings are amazing. Such fighters. The power stayed on, baby´s doing well today. Thank you. Baby is exercising its little legs and head by pushing into the feather duster in there with it. Sweet. I´ll take it down to its mum later when it can keep itself up, just for a 10 min visit.

I think all the people on this thread are amazing the way they care for their birds! The egg hatching business really stresses me out! I am stressed just by reading the posts!
I am very glad that we have BYC and this thread for the knowledge we all have gotten from it.
It´s stressful, but so rewarding usually.

The ducks could use bins better if you cut them across-ways, in the middle, then cut a little door-way into the side of each half. Ducks tend to like a little entrance so they feel hidden away. Having said that, my ducks do use the goose bins to lay their eggs.

Yes, she´s a year-old Pilgrim-type (I say type because my Pils are close, but not perfectly so, as they only have one lobe, etc) auto-sexing goose.

The plant has wire around it, like most of them do here, because young geese particularly are terrors and will nibble everything. There´s no waterfowl feed available here, so I feed the tiny ones none-medicated chick crumb for a few weeks, but they need niacin in their water (learned that on these threads) or feed as there´s not enough for them otherwise. Here, once the rains get going, the grass grows sweet and fast, but at the beginning of the season we´re still in the 'winter', the dry season, so the grass isn´t too special. I feed them extra greens too, to help. We´ve now had a number of wet days, so the sweet grass is on its way....

"Hi everyone! Look! It´s me! I can hold my head up now, just for a little while, then it gets shaky and I have to rest." "The people keep picking me up and giving me yucky water to drink and say my belly´s lookin' good. But my right leg doesn´t work too well, the people say I may need to do more excercises!..."
wink.png

"Hi everyone! Look! It´s me! I can hold my head up now, just for a little while, then it gets shaky and I have to rest." "The people keep picking me up and giving me yucky water to drink and say my belly´s lookin' good. But my right leg doesn´t work too well, the people say I may need to do more excercises!..." ;)
Yay little one! What are you going to name this little fighter?

Back
Top Bottom