Goslings of 2014 Hatch-a-long

lau.gif
I was thinking the same thing.
What can I say...Great Minds...
yesss.gif

lau.gif
I was thinking the same thing.
In an earlier post you said you were expecting up to 6 inches of snow??? Be sure to post pictures if it does. We don't get our snow (if any) until late Feb or sometime in March...even as late as April one year. So it just gets achingly cold and lots of ice storms. It would be nice to see some snow as well.

In an earlier post you said you were expecting up to 6 inches of snow??? Be sure to post pictures if it does. We don't get our snow (if any) until late Feb or sometime in March...even as late as April one year. So it just gets achingly cold and lots of ice storms. It would be nice to see some snow as well.
I sure will it's heading this way now they say so we may get 4-6 inches or none depends on what happens when it hits the mountains but they say it will get here. Very early for us that's for sure. Last couple days the chickens ducks and geese have really been packing away the food just like they know something is going to happen.

I sure will it's heading this way now they say so we may get 4-6 inches or none depends on what happens when it hits the mountains but they say it will get here. Very early for us that's for sure. Last couple days the chickens ducks and geese have really been packing away the food just like they know something is going to happen.
I truly believe that they are in many ways smarter than us. After all, they have us convinced that we need to take care of them. Be sure to bundle up, make sure that you and yours have plenty of warmth...birds and people.

I truly believe that they are in many ways smarter than us. After all, they have us convinced that we need to take care of them. Be sure to bundle up, make sure that you and yours have plenty of warmth...birds and people.

Have the wood stove going just got a cup of hot tea everyone is snuggled in their house we're ready. And you are right they have us convinced for sure.

Hey guys. Been busy with house construction and work and care taking all the animals, but I try to keep up with reading. P, glad to hear about Babe. Hope he turns out to be a she. Stay warm with the storm. We too are in for our first taste of bad weather this weekend, and I am not looking forward to it at all.

@Miss Lydia

this will be the first weekdend of cold here. going down to 50 ish. yes, that is cold for central florida =) i brought OBE hens in to sleep with bruce for the night but i am wondering about the ducks. what is the cold (temp) tolerance for geese and ducks? we wont have the winter run built until next weekend. should i put them in the garage for 50 degree weather? when the run is built, i will still have to use a heat light. what temperature should i keep it above?
do you guys know for the chickens (silkie / OBE) ? once their coop is built what will be a comfortable/tolerable temperature?

@Miss Lydia

this will be the first weekdend of cold here. going down to 50 ish. yes, that is cold for central florida =) i brought OBE hens in to sleep with bruce for the night but i am wondering about the ducks. what is the cold (temp) tolerance for geese and ducks? we wont have the winter run built until next weekend. should i put them in the garage for 50 degree weather? when the run is built, i will still have to use a heat light. what temperature should i keep it above?
do you guys know for the chickens (silkie / OBE) ? once their coop is built what will be a comfortable/tolerable temperature?
Your birds should all be fine with temps in the 50's. I will defer to the more experienced for temps in the 30's or below as this is my first winter with geese and ducks as well. However, I do know that if your ducks forage then you will need to supplement their feed since there will be less to forage on. I am planning on supplementing with cracked corn, oats, a good mixed poultry feed and of course greens. Winter treats like apples and toss in a protein supplement more regularly. Pretty much trying to find a mixed diet that all can enjoy (chickens, ducks and geese).

Our temps here in West Texas have one more time pulled a sneaky on us. We had a "little" front move through overnight and temps behind it were supposed to be mid 40's. Well we just got a Special Weather Alert. Temps will drop into the 30's by dawn...oh joy!

Miss Lydia, I know, is supposed to get snow in her area and she has been raising ducks and geese for a while so maybe in the a.m. she will let us know what direction we should be going in terms of warmth and feed.

@Miss Lydia

I have a friend[member] who lives in Canada with Silkies, she doesn't use supplemental heat just keeps them inside on really rough days and gives plenty of food and fresh water. All my ducks/geese have access to any house during winter months but prefer to be outside they find a place to hunker down and even swim on days when they can have water in their pools. They are built to take the cold just make sure when it Really gets cold they are out of drafts. I have found a feed store tha has Non GMO corn so I am supplementing their afternoon snack with whole corn and BOSS. plus dried meal worms, spoiled rotten things.
Your birds should all be fine with temps in the 50's. I will defer to the more experienced for temps in the 30's or below as this is my first winter with geese and ducks as well. However, I do know that if your ducks forage then you will need to supplement their feed since there will be less to forage on. I am planning on supplementing with cracked corn, oats, a good mixed poultry feed and of course greens. Winter treats like apples and toss in a protein supplement more regularly. Pretty much trying to find a mixed diet that all can enjoy (chickens, ducks and geese).

Our temps here in West Texas have one more time pulled a sneaky on us. We had a "little" front move through overnight and temps behind it were supposed to be mid 40's. Well we just got a Special Weather Alert. Temps will drop into the 30's by dawn...oh joy!

Miss Lydia, I know, is supposed to get snow in her area and she has been raising ducks and geese for a while so maybe in the a.m. she will let us know what direction we should be going in terms of warmth and feed.
Just perfect weather for the flocks. We have about 2" on everything but the ground still too warm yet for it to lay but suppose to keep falling through out the day with high winds and lowering temps so well see, Babes and Toots will see snow for the first time this morning.

I have a friend[member] who lives in Canada with Silkies, she doesn't use supplemental heat just keeps them inside on really rough days and gives plenty of food and fresh water. All my ducks/geese have access to any house during winter months but prefer to be outside they find a place to hunker down and even swim on days when they can have water in their pools. They are built to take the cold just make sure when it Really gets cold they are out of drafts. I have found a feed store tha has Non GMO corn so I am supplementing their afternoon snack with whole corn and BOSS. plus dried meal worms, spoiled rotten things.
Just perfect weather for the flocks. We have about 2" on everything but the ground still too warm yet for it to lay but suppose to keep falling through out the day with high winds and lowering temps so well see, Babes and Toots will see snow for the first time this morning. 

Wish I was there to see that. I can read their minds. Sort of OMG someone erased all the color!!!

Back
Top Bottom