Got 6 "free" chicks

jtbrown

Songster
8 Years
Mar 30, 2011
Southeastern Ohio
I happened into our local farm store last Friday morning, just as always to "see what they have" now that chicks are here. I am somewhat of a regular, so they spoke when I walked in. One of the guys came up and said, "you want some chicks?" I smiled, well, I am just here looking to see if there is something I can't live without is what I told him.

He said, "No, really, do you want some chicks, I have a couple that have been picked on and I can't sell them, and I need to get rid of them before they die." Hmmmm, I thought, what kind are they? And did you know these ones over here are also picking on each other. All in all, I walked out with 6 totally free White leghorns.

I know, leghorns - supposed to be crazy birds, but I have wanted a couple just to try them out. Last year I got 2 that were supposed to be leghorns that ended up being two very nice white rocks.

So, I have got my leghorns. I got them fixed up, polysporin on the feather picked, bloodied areas. I put them on a seedling heat mat covered with shavings for a few days set at 95 degrees and kept them away from bright light (still were eating/drinking, etc) that seemed to break the pecking issue. Now they are under a red lamp and doing well. They stopped picking, the wounds healed and I have 6 healthy peeps (I added some tetra tints since I had the brooder set up, just to be economical of course!LOL).

Just had to share!

clap.gif

Awesome! Happy the babies have a caring hand and you got an awesome deal!

I forgot to add -- they were from the pullet bin too. I have not always had the best of luck with the sexed chicks, so not keeping my hopes up. Seems like I typically get the ones that are the small percentage of "error" and are males, but oh well, we can deal with it if males. I am happy to have them too.

Back
Top Bottom