got my water system

we just received this system from him today....i think this is going to work great for us! Thanks again Nick!
hugs.gif

NO problem I love it for easy of use and easy to clean. I just sold heartlunger some JB quail tonight and I made one for him. Thats the one in the video. He wanted 30 chicks but only hatched out 15 so we made the exchange at Mcdonalds an hour from our home half way for both of us lol. My kids got to have chicken nuggets and Bigmacs while we did the trade.

Nick

Nick..did you post the video link you sent me?? that would help them understand a bit more maybe.

Well these are from ventilators that I use at work after they are done with them they throw them out. I repurposed them into auto waterers They have a float value that lets water out as needed I have them hooked to a 5 gallon bucket and send water to all my cages

New Video check it out
Quote:

Last edited:
My auto watering system...
I haven't watered my birds for 5 weeks now. That's right, I haven't watered anything but a few that were in quarantine (and I would fix that if it wasn't temporary).

Here's what I did:
Phase 1
I started out with Chicken Nipples. Cheap and very effective and even my quail use them. Both buttons and Coturnix. I put 1-2 nipples into the bottom of a 1-gallon sample jug that's normally tossed in the trash at work. I mount the jug using a clothes hanger that I cut up and bend to hold it tightly in place. I put a hook on the pen. Sometimes I use an S hook and sometimes I screw a hook into the wood- doesn't matter. I drill a tiny hole in the top for a vent (use the smallest bit you have to prevent dust/debres from getting in). This worked great, but I had to fill em up every few days. I'm lazy, and I was going off on vacation so I needed a more complete solution.

Phase 2
I went to Lowes and purchased some irrigation equipment. I purchased a standard irrigation valve used to control water sprinklers. I then went over to the Drip systems. I bought a combo strainer/regulator for the drip system. I bought a couple big rolls of the 1/4 inch tubing. I then purchased some 1/2 gallon/hr drippers and some 1 gallon per hour drippers. Note, my drippers have a barb on one side to connect to the high pressure 1/4 in tubing, the other side has roughly a 1/4 outlet, but no barb, I'll call it the "low pressure" side from here on out. I also purchased some "T's" and some double males in case I needed to put two pieces together. I also purchased a fitting to connect the system to my water spigot.

Installation of Phase 2. I ran low-voltage two conductor wire from my garage under the house to the water spigot out back. In the garage, I connect the wire to a 12 volt DC/ AC adapter (120VAC in, 12VDC out). I then plug the AC adapter into a simple 24 hr timer and set it to come on for 1 hour once a day.

The other end of the wire connects to the valve. The valve is between the 1/4 tubing going out to the yard and the strainer/regulator combo. Now, the rest is pretty simple and logical. Run the hose near each and every pen/brooder you have. I have one long line that runs by each pen. I use tractors so I have to be flexible so I leave plenty of extra hose between pens to account for my moving them around every so often. Cut the hose and put a T at each pen. Run the hose from the T to the high-pressure side of the dripper. Repeat for every pen/brooder you have. Now, there are several ways to proceed. The trick is to drip the water INTO the chicken nipple jug. A. Drill a hole in the top of the jug such that the 1/4 hose will go through it, yet fit tightly enough it doesn't come out easily. Put the nipple just above the jug and run the tubing from the low-pressure side of the nipple into the jug. If you drilled the hole small enough, the tubing should fit very snug and you shouldn't have any issues with it coming out.

To cut the grass, I simply unplug the low pressure side of the nipples on every pen and then roll it up like a water hose. Alternatively, you can bury it but that doesn't work for chicken tractors. :) Now, the water comes on long enough to OVERFILL the water each day. The ideal is to fill it up and let it run over for just a few minutes before the system cuts off. For the brooders, I put an overflow near the top of the jug that drains the water out of the brooder to help keep the inside of the brooder dry. (just run the 1/4 tubing through a tight-fitting hole downhill as gravity will be the driving force for flow) You may want to do this with some pens as well. Now, the system has NOT gone through a winter yet and so I do expect some issues. I hope to set it up to run in the middle of the afternoon to take advantage of the sun warming up the black lines. Not sure if that will be enough on the coldest days. We'll have to see about that...

Back
Top Bottom