Got some Runner Ducks(tips and knowledge welcome)

Copper9Miko1

In the Brooder
Oct 10, 2022
My dad picked up 3 runner ducks cause he used to have some as a kid and we had chickens already plus 3 week old chicks in our brooder and chicks about to hatch. right now i'm deal with them spilling water all over and soaking the shavings wondering if there's much we can do about it we have put the water holder into a dish so it's harder to spill. I know about Niacin (thinks that how you spell it) I've been recommend by a friend who has ducks to give peas to help with that but i was also wondering if there was anything else?

I do have them in the brooder with the chicks they all get along and cuddle so i'm assuming they're ok together? I'm open for help or tips new to ducks and wanna take the busy care of them we can, I do have a friend who's been helping a bit but i was wondering it anyone on here had any tips

I love my Runners not only are they just so cool looking but they are little clowns too.

They are messy that is for sure so if you have a broiler pan and pee pads use it to hold the waterer and feed. I put the pee pads over top of the broiler to keep their feet from getting hurt Good Will usually has things like this in their stores. You can make a waterer for them with a plastic container and cut holes just large enough they can dunk their heads into but not climb into. You'll probably have to enlarge the holes weekly they grow so fast. You'll just have to make sure none of the chicks can get into these waterers. That's what is hard about brooding chicks and ducklings together chicks can drown and ducklings need to be able to dunk their heads to keep their nares and eyes clean. [Very important]

Now we need some pictures of your babies

Thank you for the tips I appreciate it and here they're inhave no idea how old they are or how to tell or gender but our friend said they're probably fawn and white

Attachments

• Snapchat-245301077.jpg
    Snapchat-245301077.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 2
  • Snapchat-252496477.jpg
    Snapchat-252496477.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 2
  • Snapchat-269332570.jpg
    Snapchat-269332570.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 2
I believe they are too. Look to be a couple weeks maybe or getting close. You'll have to wait a while for a gender reveal. But the females will begin by making honks then they go to quacks. The drakes will peep longer and when ready they will sound raspy like they have a cold. But that is their normal sound they remind me of a frog lol.

okay on the niacin issue Peas do have niacin but how much will each duckling need to get an adequate amount I have no idea so what we suggest is either Nutritional

Last edited:
thanks never had ducks so i know only a little but they do like to swim i let them have baths in the tub since is still a little cold out and i don't want them getting sick or cold since they're still young i found it funny they shake off like a dog would as well as being very playful my sister was shocked the could swim under water(she's younger so) but i'm enjoying them just wanna take good care of them cause they deserve it even if they do make a few extra messes lol

They are messy but so worth it. Make sure they swim in warm water and got straight under their heat after they will start getting their oil gland working too. They are so precious I’m glad you love them and want to take good care of them.

I figured they'd need it warm and i always put them under the heater or i turn the room heater one and warm up the room also lightly dry them with a towel they love trying to eat the water out of the faucet while its filling up, they also love their toy rubber ducky treat it like kids would a soccer ball. Although haven't had a bath since the chicks in my incubator hatch which was 2 days ago since they wouldn't have the heater i didn't wanna risk it

I just saw this post and I hope if you give your ducklings peas that you also give them grit so that they can digest the peas. Mine only get duck food crumbles when they are that age because they are kept in my house. I hope that yours are still doing great. Mine are 6 weeks old now and huge. They are fawn and white runner ducks and are both girls that I simply love. They don't like me to catch them but when I do and hold them they are the calmest ducks I have ever had being held.

Back
Top Bottom