Gout in guinea?

gguineasfamily

Songster
Jan 23, 2013
Brisbane, QLD Australia
One of my guinea hens has a swollen foot that looks like it might be gout (no plug for bumble foot) and lately I noticed her neck is getting pale. I researched treatment and they all recommend certain nutrients such as phosphorus. Apparently they need an enzyme phytase to digest it? Where can I find that? Or does anyone have any idea what it might be?

One of my guinea hens has a swollen foot that looks like it might be gout (no plug for bumble foot) and lately I noticed her neck is getting pale. I researched treatment and they all recommend certain nutrients such as phosphorus. Apparently they need an enzyme phytase to digest it? Where can I find that? Or does anyone have any idea what it might be?
It may well be that your guinea has gout which may have been caused by feeding excessive amounts of protein. If that is the case' it can be remedied by returning the protein amounts to those that are considered to be normal for guineas.

If you are feeding excessive amounts of mealworms the recommended protein levels can be easily exceeded.

"Another misconception is that the protein level of breeder diets and handfeeding formulas is harmful to kidneys. In research studies in poultry, turkeys had to be fed diets with 40% protein to produce gout (one clinical sign of kidney disease) and they gradually recovered when put back on a diet with 20% protein (the amount of protein usually seen in breeder diets and handfeeding formulas)."

from: http://www.ccbirdclub.com/assets/kidney-disease.pdf

Back
Top Bottom