GQF Quail pens and brooder info!

Im not completely done with my reveiw on here. I want to let everyone know since I took the plunge. I would have built my own but I dont have enough space to do so right now. So thays why I went with this. I got most everything set up today so im gonna see how it works out the next few days. So far so good. By birds seem to be doing better and less stressed now that they can not all see each other. I had cloth wire sides on my old throw together pens.... with these GQF pens it has the aluminum divider... they dont go near as crazy... I put a full spectum plant grow light in the shed today so we will see if that lighting helps out more than the regular white light. It gives off a different glow for sure...

Greetings ,Being inspired by GQF but they are extremely expensive here I made my own , emphasis on maintenance and cleaning. 2 foot deep by 3 foot wide, center divider removable, water and food above floor , water via nipples at back , I found this the cleanest for the quail , got the nipples on eBay for .60 cents each, eggs roll out front, floor is tsc polymer heavy duty 1/2 mesh , I find its easier on the birds feet , cleans easier , doesn't rust , con is needs support, front access above feeder folds down , feeder above floor access from outside front easy to clean and fill, made of eaves trough down spout cut in half. Highly recommend floor , sides top are 1/2 hardware cloth galvanized mesh from tractor supply , frame 3/4 inch square spruce painted,I have a vertical stack of five cages trays underneath for droppings, Started in late October with a breeding trio and currently are now at twenty eight birds , steep learning curve , now getting 70 to 80 percent hatches and am about to fill the cage breeder tower. three to four birds per each half cage. Much appreciation for those who have gone before and passed on the wisdom via BYC forum thanks

That looks good too. Im not that inclined to build them myself. I dont know if I could make cages and have them turn out really nice like I picture it in my head...

Ive had my birds in my GQF cages for two days now... they seem to be doing well. No problems and has been so much cleaner.... no problems so far. The 15 section breeder pens have been working well for me so far. I have three two week old birds in the brooder and they seem to be doing fine too..

Hey - I too took the plunge and bought a GQF battery brooder with the two grow off pens under it. it should be arriving today actually. I did have a question though- can i run this out in my garage? I am in NH so we get below 0 weather. it happens to be 40 degrees today but tomorrow could be negative numbers again. I just didn't know if I should expect it to compete with that much cold, or if I should be setting it up in my basement instead. thanks

the website says each section is 10" x 24" and i believe the deviders can be removed. It doesn't specifically mention height... but I would assume by looking at the picture that it is also 10''

I am just learning but such is my experience,
Brooders are nurseries for fledgling birds, my coturnix quail have a body temp of around 37 to 38 degrees Celsius like around 100 degrees F same as humans for the first 3 weeks they need heat because they are not fully feathered , thus the heated brooder . The brooder works best if it is able to maintain heat , IE not running full out to dispel cold. If it can maintain the 100 degrees and gradually run down to room temp over a few weeks that is good .The brooders are vented to maintain breath-ability ,dryness , thus no insulation and minimal heat storage, they radiate heat not hold it I keep the brooder in same room as incubator ,so that there are no hysterical temp swings on and off. After three weeks I put them on 20 degrees C or around 68 to 70 degrees F to acclimatise and finish feathering for two weeks . After that the grow out for me goes to 55 to 60 degrees and artificial light to promote breeding and egg laying they seem to like it temperate to maintain laying on a daily basis. They can withstand cold but its hard to get them happy and laying fertile eggs under cold stress. They will survive cold if it is dry , cold and wet , hmmmm bird flu? they can get colds , respiratory probs, best keep em cozy and dry and they will reproduce like quail. Good luck

ok, just thought it was worth checking. into my basement then- which is a furnished basement, not dank and dark or anything. it is just next to a big door so it will be easier to keep clean and not anywhere i don't mind food and shavings accidentally winding up on the floor. thanks

Back
Top Bottom