Graduating from starter/grower to scratch

I've been mixing my laying crumble with scratch (half & half)
Uh oh. That's not good.
Personally, I would switch them over to Flock Raiser and be done with it.
Because they've been deficient in protein for as long as you have been doing this, I would offer them a tin of sardines three times a week for a week or two in addition to switching them over to Flock Raiser to boost them.
When they hit about 18-20 weeks, put out a container of oyster shell that you will keep filled for free choice eating for when they start to lay.

Uh oh. That's not good.
Personally, I would switch them over to Flock Raiser and be done with it.
Because they've been deficient in protein for as long as you have been doing this, I would offer them a tin of sardines three times a week for a week or two in addition to switching them over to Flock Raiser to boost them.
When they hit about 18-20 weeks, put out a container of oyster shell that you will keep filled for free choice eating for when they start to lay.
Oh, I wasn't meaning that I was mixing the baby chicks feed. I was referring to my grown chickens. But I'll still remove the scratch from their daily diet. I do have the oyster shells, but I also boil eggs for my chickens, two or three times a week, & crush them up, shells & all, & give them back to the chickens. I also boil 2 or 3 eggs a day for the "baby chicks" (2 months old), but I peel those. I think I remember seeing the Flock Raiser (or whatever it's called...I can't see all of your post from this point), but I don't remember seeing it in organic, non-gmo. I'll do more checking. And again, THANKS!! You've been a big help!

but I don't remember seeing it in organic, non-gmo. I'll do more checking. And again, THANKS!! You've been a big help!
No. It's not organic or non-GMO.
What you really should be doing is keeping the extra calcium out of the feed and offer a higher protein level than what is offered in layer mix. Hens don't need extra calcium when they are molting, taking a winter break or brooding/raising chicks. It is not good for them to have to process all the excess calcium from the layer feed.
And providing the bare minimum of protein that nearly all layer mixes offer, 16%, isn't healthy either as it can lead to behavioral and health issues too. Try to find something that would be appropriate for any flock that offers 18-20% protein and about 0.8% calcium. However, I think you will be hard pressed to find it in organic or non-GMO.

No. It's not organic or non-GMO.
What you really should be doing is keeping the extra calcium out of the feed and offer a higher protein level than what is offered in layer mix. Hens don't need extra calcium when they are molting, taking a winter break or brooding/raising chicks. It is not good for them to have to process all the excess calcium from the layer feed.
And providing the bare minimum of protein that nearly all layer mixes offer, 16%, isn't healthy either as it can lead to behavioral and health issues too. Try to find something that would be appropriate for any flock that offers 18-20% protein and about 0.8% calcium. However, I think you will be hard pressed to find it in organic or non-GMO.
OK. Thank you! I may have to break down & get the non-organic. I'll do some researching on that. I'm about ready to buy feed, so this is a perfect time to know this. Thanks again!

I think I remember seeing the Flock Raiser (or whatever it's called...I can't see all of your post from this point), but I don't remember seeing it in organic, non-gmo.
"Flock Raiser" is a brand thing... don't get caught up in the name. Any type of all flock is appropriate feed for chickens of all ages. It can be labeled all flock, flock raiser, hatch to hen... many grower feeds and some starters are also suitable as substitutes. Really you need to look at the nutrition panel and not the name, to decide what's suitable, i.e.:
Try to find something that would be appropriate for any flock that offers 18-20% protein and about 0.8% calcium.

"Flock Raiser" is a brand thing... don't get caught up in the name. Any type of all flock is appropriate feed for chickens of all ages. It can be labeled all flock, flock raiser, hatch to hen... many grower feeds and some starters are also suitable as substitutes. Really you need to look at the nutrition panel and not the name, to decide what's suitable, i.e.:
Thanks! I've already been looking into that, thanks to your info.

Back
Top Bottom