grannys gone and done it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well Ive read all the thread except from Easter to Labor Day. Interesting what spell check is doing. Took me 2X as long to read it while trying to figure out the words. I'm from near Alabama Georgia line, have 41 chickens(all but 2 are less than a year old), 10 cats(mostlly kittens), 3 dogs, and a paint horse. So posts about dogs, cats and horses have been interesting too. Also have a 15 year old grandson who choses to live with us. He loves the farm life as much as me. I have been rretired for 5 years ffrom teaching science for 32 years.

Welcome - that's my kind of menagerie!!!

I cant take off. they left it in the air !  I made me some hot chocolate pudding . my go to comfort food.   the skin is the best part .
That's good granny, otherwise you probably would try running it down the road lol. When I was in my late teens had to drive my older brother around occasionally because he had lost his license. Well one of his cars had bad breaks & he conveniently didn't tell me until I started driving it that the breaks were shot. I was taking him to his probation appointment & he had to show up or go back to jail. So every time we came up to a light I had to throw the car in reverse in order to get it stopped. Long story short, car didn't last long. Sorta hard on the tranny. Refused to drive him again unless it was with one of my parents vehicles.

Hi. Listen, If I'm being too talkalot on this thread someone please pm me! I feel like the loudmouth that showed up at a party Ya know, the "who the hell invited them" kind. Anyhoo...I wanted to tell a story, something nice that happened today, so I thought I'd tell it to ya'll. I sure hope this is ok, cause I envy those that live where I wish I did. I live 60 miles from Los Angeles, couple miles out of the "City". I have 1.5 acres, witch is huge in these parts. In the 20 years I've lived here, I've seen the orange groves where I used to go riding turn into city slicker livestock hating subdivisions. Same for the dairy farms. They closed all the horse trails, so now I'd have to trailer to ride. Crime has gotten scary. Druggies and gangs are moving in. Home invasion robberies, car jackings, petty theft, burglary, Meth and heroine dealers at the end of my road, I never dreamed I'd live somewhere that I was afraid to go to town after dark. I thought this was my last home. Nope. I've been praying for the day we could get outta here, live around folks like I usta know. Still with me? So last week, a new client came to have a look to board her little dog. They're traveling back to Korea. She saw my colorful eggs on the counter and her eyes lit up! She's very hard to understand, but told me all about the farm she was raised on in Korea, her animals and chickens and how much she missed it. I offered her a dz eggs. This morning, she drove over to give me this beautiful basket of fruit from her trees as gratitude for the eggs from my hens. Dunno why that is so mind changing and profound to me, why it's made me so hopeful and happy today, but it did.
You're absolutely welcome to be here and jump in with whatever, whenever. I mean, as far as my opinion goes. ;) I value your dog opinions and advice!
Well Ive read all the thread except from Easter to Labor Day. Interesting what spell check is doing. Took me 2X as long to read it while trying to figure out the words. I'm from near Alabama Georgia line, have 41 chickens(all but 2 are less than a year old), 10 cats(mostlly kittens), 3 dogs, and a paint horse. So posts about dogs, cats and horses have been interesting too. Also have a 15 year old grandson who choses to live with us. He loves the farm life as much as me. I have been rretired for 5 years ffrom teaching science for 32 years.
Welcome jane! Glad to see you're catching up! :highfive: Sometimes I have to skip lots of pages to stay current. :oops:

I never learned that you could use the e brake til about a year ago. just figured they were useless unless it was a stick and you were on a hill. Newfie, what is in cook and serve pudding that would be so bitter it makes your eyes close ? I know i get it by cooking it too fast and not dissolving but i wonder what it is ?

Quote: Thanks Chickenlady for the info. I am so sorry for the loss of your roo!
hugs.gif
I hate when I lose a bird and especially when they are your favorite. And yes, under fed birds are definitely more susceptible to coming down with issues if others keep them from eating or drinking. I am so sorry for your loss.
hugs.gif

These chicken diseases are so hard to diagnose. This was a strange one that just appeared one day with one bird. It started with her breathing...breathing like a race horse. Then she came down with fever and was hot on very cool days. Then she developed yellow urates. Then another bird turned up with the same symptoms and then another. Then the green diarrhea started in all of them.

I did a ton of research and these symptoms fit with either bacterial E.coli or Enteritis or Fungal infections like Aspergillus or Candidiasis. I thought perhaps this was bacterial because of some recent sand I unloaded in my coop and run, (I have used sand for 4 years and never had any issues with it) but these stuff had a funky odor to it and so I guessed at bacterial. I worm my birds several times a year so I didn't think it could be worms.

I started them on antibacterials and I guess they must have had secondary bacterial infections because the yellow urates disappeared quick along with the fevers. But the rest of them got tons worse and one of them developed this fungal yeast mass in her crop that was a bear to get out of there. So I then assumed this had to be fungal and did get them on fungal meds. Soon after the breathing all returned to normal and got all the green diarrhea all cleared up in all but one of them. I am still not 100% sure what this was or where they got it from. We had a really rainy wet year and there is mold and mildew growing under the trees they free range under and dust bathe in. Or it could have been this sand which I have since removed.

I gave this particular bird some charcoal and so pepto bismol this afternoon and I did see some more solid poop around where she usually hangs out. So time will tell if I can pull her out of this as well.

Well, my sweet Yahzi is off to start the next chapter in her life - my heart is feeling a bit heavy, but is also feeling happy because this was *the* right fit for her (I won't hesitate to refuse a sale or placement of an animal if it doesn't feel right - have done so several times). She is now officially the much loved pony partner of a 10 year old girl - and every pony deserves to be loved by a little girl at least once in their life. They could not have been a better family - we had so much in common (and even spent several minutes talking about chickens, lol) and I felt right in my heart that this is a good thing.
Poor Aero is beside herself and it is likely going to be a long night listening to her call for her friend -- my apologies to the neighbors
hide.gif
. Everyone from myself to DS and even DH has made her a promise to be her new best friend. I forsee lots of cookies and loves and scratches in her future and DD will be home next weekend, hopefully cleared to begin riding again as she has a neuro appointment Monday.

Hi. Listen, If I'm being too talkalot on this thread someone please pm me! I feel like the loudmouth that showed up at a party Ya know, the "who the hell invited them" kind. Anyhoo...I wanted to tell a story, something nice that happened today, so I thought I'd tell it to ya'll. I sure hope this is ok, cause I envy those that live where I wish I did.
I live 60 miles from Los Angeles, couple miles out of the "City". I have 1.5 acres, witch is huge in these parts. In the 20 years I've lived here, I've seen the orange groves where I used to go riding turn into city slicker livestock hating subdivisions. Same for the dairy farms. They closed all the horse trails, so now I'd have to trailer to ride. Crime has gotten scary. Druggies and gangs are moving in. Home invasion robberies, car jackings, petty theft, burglary, Meth and heroine dealers at the end of my road, I never dreamed I'd live somewhere that I was afraid to go to town after dark. I thought this was my last home. Nope. I've been praying for the day we could get outta here, live around folks like I usta know.
Still with me? So last week, a new client came to have a look to board her little dog. They're traveling back to Korea. She saw my colorful eggs on the counter and her eyes lit up! She's very hard to understand, but told me all about the farm she was raised on in Korea, her animals and chickens and how much she missed it. I offered her a dz eggs. This morning, she drove over to give me this beautiful basket of fruit from her trees as gratitude for the eggs from my hens. Dunno why that is so mind changing and profound to me, why it's made me so hopeful and happy today, but it did.

you are not a loud mouth..i love your stories..that was so nice of her and the fruit looks yummy..there are still good people around and she is one of them..times have changed crime is everywhere it is scary..my sis in tn just told me she went to krogers and two men followed her to her car wanting to help her with her groceries..she said no thank you and took her buggy of groceries back in the store and got a stock boy to go with her to her car..she had heard they are doing that then either take your car or groceries,i told her to quit going alone..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom