grannys gone and done it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you everybody for being so welcoming. I go train on a couple dogs, do some chores and I'm 10 pages behind!
.......and you thought *you* might be talking too much?????
gig.gif

Oh my goodness, what a well timed turn of events -- I was feeling a bit down about Yahzi and all of the sudden DH pokes his head in the back door and says, "Hey, come see what the cat drug in - no, really, come see what Mojo found" -----------so I went and looked and, Nacho-kitty is back!!!! Okay, back story, Nacho-kitty is this lovely blue boy who technically belongs to our neighbor but who thinks he lives at our house (their dog chooses to live with our other neighbor - the kids at the house the belong to are just plain MEAN to them both, can't say I blame them for choosing to leave). Nacho came to us about a year ago, and that was also courtesy of Mojo. I was out at the barn and Mojo came up out of the woods.....with Nacho following behind. I kid you not, it was like one of those, "Hey, mom, this is my new friend. Can he come play?" As for the name, Nacho is a name given to many animals - it started when my nephew had found a puppy and asked my sister, "What will we name it?" and she said, "Nacho- because he is not-yo dog"
Anyway - about a couple of months ago I realized I hadn't seen Nacho for a few days....then it was a week and eventually I made peace with the fact that he was probably just gone for good. The neighbor didn't even notice the cat had disappeared until I made mention of it one day (a good three weeks from the last time *I* had seen him).
Yep, I was heartbroken at the thought that someone else's cat had met a bad end -- but, apparently he was just out tomming, yet another reason to spay/neuter.
So, one friend has left but another has returned.
celebrate.gif
wee.gif
hugs.gif
See??? Thank you for posting ! Yahzi left, Nacho returned.

I'd get there, but the weather! Looking to get the heck outta here! 

Sure, it's hot... But it's a super humid, soaking wet kind of hot! Totally unbearable!

No, but really. I pretty much love it. I lived in Kentucky for a few years in high school, and one day they were all complaining about their frizzy hair in the super high humidity. Checked the weather: yep, humidity in the high 80s. Went outside: haha, what? Sometimes I think the shower is less humid than the back yard.

It's endearing. :love

Hi. Listen, If I'm being too talkalot on this thread someone please pm me! I feel like the loudmouth that showed up at a party Ya know, the "who the hell invited them" kind. Anyhoo...I wanted to tell a story, something nice that happened today, so I thought I'd tell it to ya'll. I sure hope this is ok, cause I envy those that live where I wish I did.
I live 60 miles from Los Angeles, couple miles out of the "City". I have 1.5 acres, witch is huge in these parts. In the 20 years I've lived here, I've seen the orange groves where I used to go riding turn into city slicker livestock hating subdivisions. Same for the dairy farms. They closed all the horse trails, so now I'd have to trailer to ride. Crime has gotten scary. Druggies and gangs are moving in. Home invasion robberies, car jackings, petty theft, burglary, Meth and heroine dealers at the end of my road, I never dreamed I'd live somewhere that I was afraid to go to town after dark. I thought this was my last home. Nope. I've been praying for the day we could get outta here, live around folks like I usta know.
Still with me? So last week, a new client came to have a look to board her little dog. They're traveling back to Korea. She saw my colorful eggs on the counter and her eyes lit up! She's very hard to understand, but told me all about the farm she was raised on in Korea, her animals and chickens and how much she missed it. I offered her a dz eggs. This morning, she drove over to give me this beautiful basket of fruit from her trees as gratitude for the eggs from my hens. Dunno why that is so mind changing and profound to me, why it's made me so hopeful and happy today, but it did.
That's a great fruit basket! Pic would make a beautiful jigsaw puzzle. I recognize the little pineapple guavas, but what are the larger yellow-green fruits? Different type of guava?
It's sad that your area is starting to have those kind of problems. Especially since you've been there so long and knew better times. I don't like change. I want to go back 45 years when this town only had 30,000 people rather than the 175,000 here now. A lot of the problems come with increased population density. I do think that most people are good, but are kind of keeping to themselves. It's isolating. Hard to be trusting when you see so much wrong all around. Funny how such small gestures mean so much. I would love to see her garden.

Granny, that red is an OE because she came from a green egg. The lady made her OEs by putting her EE roo over welsummer hens. So I guess this one looks more like a welsummer? I don't know. She's the one with the "mature" pelvis, so I'm hoping she'll lay soon and settle this for sure.
wink.png

I think that is backwards. You need a colored egg laying hen with a brown egg roo. but since I am 150 posts behind I will probably find out this as already been discussed. LOL

Me too granny & last year I only had the large coop going until Dec when I set up the small coop as a brooder coop. This year I have 4 coops to take care of. What the hello was I thinking?
he.gif
What scares me the most is the ice. It never fails, every winter I fall at least once & get hurt. This winter I will have 3 additional coops to haul water for. I've got to do some rearranging in the coops & maybe downsize a few more of my 1 1/2 yr old hens. I did at least figure a system out for hauling 50# bags of feed & bales of shavings to the back garage that I can't drive up to in the winter. Wasn't until the end of last winter that I had a brain fart & started loading them into one of my grandkids sleds to tow back there. Way easier, not the sharpest tool in the shed
lau.gif

you can buy an electric hose, they are pricey but mine worked a treat last winter even in NorthDakota. I works on the same principle as heat tape on pipes but molded into the hose. result no frozen hose or hauling of water.

Well Ive read all the thread except from Easter to Labor Day. Interesting what spell check is doing. Took me 2X as long to read it while trying to figure out the words. I'm from near Alabama Georgia line, have 41 chickens(all but 2 are less than a year old), 10 cats(mostlly kittens), 3 dogs, and a paint horse. So posts about dogs, cats and horses have been interesting too. Also have a 15 year old grandson who choses to live with us. He loves the farm life as much as me. I have been rretired for 5 years ffrom teaching science for 32 years.

jane s chickens! You finally posted. Yay! I've been seeing your name on here for quite awhile and it's nice to finally meet you (virtually speaking). Great that you can give your grandson a country life. Good way to grow up.

Quote: Electric hose is an excellent idea. Never heard of one, but makes sense. Cold winter chicken keeping is a challenge. Around here it involves putting on a sweatshirt before going out and following the regular routine.
cool.png
Red was talking about people not knowing how to drive in snow. I don't think I could even walk in it!

Long day for me. Time to hit the hay. G'nite Twist. You must be trying to catch up. Or else fell asleep and will have keyboard marks on your cheek in the morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom