*GRAPHIC PHOTOS*Necropsy help? What am I looking at

Littletrees

In the Brooder
Dec 30, 2023
one of my coturnix hens passed away last night. No idea of what but I wanted to see if I could find out why. I have tons of pictures I’m just not sure what I’m looking at. I’m in human medicine not avian so I’m lost. Can someone be able to tell me what normal and if there’s any abnormalities or point me in the right direction? I’ll post pictures if someone can help!

one of my coturnix hens passed away last night. No idea of what but I wanted to see if I could find out why. I have tons of pictures I’m just not sure what I’m looking at. I’m in human medicine not avian so I’m lost. Can someone be able to tell me what normal and if there’s any abnormalities or point me in the right direction? I’ll post pictures if someone can help!
Go ahead and post pictures as I know many do or know chicken innards, and there's probably several who have done necropsy on quail too.

I'd put them as a reply with a graphic warning above them or in a spoiler in case someone prefers not to see them.

No that's her right lung!
Screenshot_20231231-203438.png

The lungs are smaller than that.

Helpful hint.
If you need to open a bird up again in the future, it's best to just cut along each side of the spine to open it up and then you don't have to worry about cutting up the breast meat to get to the innards.

Helpful hint.
If you need to open a bird up again in the future, it's best to just cut along each side of the spine to open it up and then you don't have to worry about cutting up the breast meat to get to the innards.
I wasn’t concerned about her meat that’s why I went in sternum vs spine.

Back
Top Bottom