GRAPHIC PICS of my day learning to caponize

I caponized eight barred rock cockerels today. All eight are full capons, and I removed both testicles through one incision on the bird's right side.

I removed the right testicle first (the one closest to the incision) and then I removed the left testicle (the one furthest from the incision).

In many cases, I couldn't see the left testicle as I looped the wire tool around it. I checked with the paddle probe to be sure it was there, but the actual taking of the testicle was done more by feel than by sight.

Full capons. No slips. No losses. No pictures. I set up my video camera but one of the barn cats kept rubbing against the tripod. We shared words and decided it was best to put the video camera away before it was broken. I attempted to wear my iPhone5 on my forehead. The battery died, but I don't know when that happened, so maybe there will be some usable video footage.

This is a turning point for me. I think beginners will benefit from making an incision, removing the close testicle, turning the bird, making a second incision, and removing the second testicle. Doing this over and over will make the operator familiar with the correct incision site, removal of the testicular membrane, and correct use of the wire tool. AFTER one is proficient and confident, then removing both testicles through the bird's right side is the next logical step in training. Avoiding the artery between the kidneys, not damaging the kidneys, avoiding large blood vessels; these things take practice. If you're learning to caponize, don't beat yourself up over not being able to find both testicles through one incision. Learning takes time.

I just checked on the eight new capons. Everyone is eating and drinking. There's one in the top right corner trying to stay out of the photo.

I looked at the iPhone video from this morning. From my experience today, I do not recommend wearing your phone on your head as a way to record events. I had five minutes of clear, boring wall footage. Looks like I need to invest in a GoPro camera, but then I'll need a tablet to control it, and then I'll need new software to edit the footage.
barnie.gif

Eight barred rocks at one day post caponizing: no wind puffs. If I don't see any wind puffs tomorrow morning, this group will go into a movable tractor on pasture tomorrow.

I have a capon lesson scheduled for June 10, 2016. This is a Friday. If there is enough interest for a class on Saturday, June 11th, I will have enough eight-week-old cockerels for a class of six people. Send me a PM if you have questions or would like to reserve a seat.

For folks who have asked about getting tools, I will place an order on Tuesday, June 14, 2016. Send me a PM if you need information.

Caponized three Cochins today. I did it as the beginning of a joint venture with a friend; I have the (admittedly still inexperienced) skills and she has the space and time for more birds. I feel like today was a HUGE jump forward for my skillset and this is the first time I've been able to say with certainty "these are all full capons not slips." And now I know why I've had such an awful slip rate (2 capons/11 slips, 2 deaths, approximately). The Nasco tool set is absolute garbage. My friend purchase a vintage set on EBay and now that I've worked with the quality stuff I understand how bad the Nasco tools are. THIS IS A WARNING TO ANYONE LOOKING TO GET INTO CAPONIZING - DONT BUY THE NASCO TOOLS. They're a waste of money. Get yourself some authentic Chinese or antique tools. Needless to say I plan on PMing @Poco Pollo when I get home later today to get myself some REAL tools.

Boys were super calm on the table, aside from a little minor bleeding on the first one the operation went flawlessly. I shook pretty bad for the first one and after that my nerves were super steady. About 20 mins per bird including tying down, plucking, sterilizing tools, and the operation itself. Went in from both sides on all birds. They were around 12 weeks of age. They forgot all about their operation once they saw the food bowls afterward.

After careful consideration, I have decided to sell the amazing, wonderful, beutifimous capon chair I got from China. I'm 5'6" tall and wear size 12 ladies pants, which makes me too tall and too fat to use the chair properly. It works as intended, but I can't comfortably get in and out of the chair. If you are interested, please send me a PM. You can see the chair in action on YouTube if you search for How to Caponize a Cockerel (Caponizing roosters in China).

Well, on the day I was planning to separate out my one-eyed, cross beaked, 7 week old roo for caponization, I came out to the coop to find he'd fallen off the roost and somehow bit the dust overnight. Alas, poor Cyclops, we barely knew thee... and despite the onset of rigor mortis, he warmed up quite nicely on a black tray in the sun and only smelled a little bit when I made a post-mortem attempt on his manhood. I believe I got them both successfully, though I may have broken a rib along the way - not sure if that was due to my patient being dead or my own inexperience. Perhaps I'll try the next batch at 8 or 9 weeks, just to give myself a bit more space to work. I also learned that intestines are not testicles, as much as they may look like them on first glance (thought: wow, this little guy had some cajones... oh, wait, never mind).

My next shot at some live birds comes in a month or so when the four boys from hatch two reach cuttin' age. Until then, let us celebrate Cyclops' 7 week reign as Atlanta's ugliest and yet somehow endearing little rooster.
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom