GRAPHIC PICS of my day learning to caponize

I experimented today with using CO2 to knock out a chicken pre-op. Here's what I discovered and hopefully other new caponizers can learn from my mistakes. I placed a 5 week old male American Bresse into a clear plastic tote about the size of a tall shoebox. I placed a cup with 2 tablespoons of baking soda at the opposite end of the box and slowly dribbled vinegar into the cup. Going too fast, the cup overflowed and spilled vinegar-baking soda over the bottom of the box. Bird got wet feathers and feet and looked annoyed. Then I cleaned up and tried again. Same procedure. Dribble dribble, this time little overflow. I used about 50%/50% vinegar to baking soda in volume. The foam came up to the top of the cup and spilled a few drops.

The results were within about 10 seconds the bird's respiration increased significantly. His tongue flopped up and down in his mouth as he was feeling the lack of oxygen I think. Finally, he jerked his body a bit and placed his head slowly on the floor of the box, his eyes fluttering open ever 1-3 seconds and then closing them for longer and longer periods. He started to go limp. I removed him from the box and placed him by a space heater. He was still breathing well and appeared asleep. He woke up about a 15-20 seconds later and walked around as if nothing happened.

My conclusion is that the CO2 knockout gas method is too imprecise to know when the chicken will bolt awake and he may thrash about if startled awake during an operation. There's no way to determine how long the chicken will sleep. You may find yourself euthanizing with the gas if you put too much concentration of the solution in the box or keep the bird under for too long. There are too many variables to control for this to be a reliable method of anesthesia, it seems, in a home setting. It also is questionable if it is humane. Seems like it causes them distress as they are gasping for air. There must be a better way than this to anesthetize a chicken for operation. I will probably try ice as a local analgesic to at least numb the spot before caponizing.

My chicken was completely fine. He looked hungry and went off to get a snack after the experiment.

I experimented today with using CO2 to knock out a chicken pre-op. Here's what I discovered and hopefully other new caponizers can learn from my mistakes. I placed a 5 week old male American Bresse into a clear plastic tote about the size of a tall shoebox. I placed a cup with 2 tablespoons of baking soda at the opposite end of the box and slowly dribbled vinegar into the cup. Going too fast, the cup overflowed and spilled vinegar-baking soda over the bottom of the box. Bird got wet feathers and feet and looked annoyed. Then I cleaned up and tried again. Same procedure. Dribble dribble, this time little overflow. I used about 50%/50% vinegar to baking soda in volume. The foam came up to the top of the cup and spilled a few drops.

The results were within about 10 seconds the bird's respiration increased significantly. His tongue flopped up and down in his mouth as he was feeling the lack of oxygen I think. Finally, he jerked his body a bit and placed his head slowly on the floor of the box, his eyes fluttering open ever 1-3 seconds and then closing them for longer and longer periods. He started to go limp. I removed him from the box and placed him by a space heater. He was still breathing well and appeared asleep. He woke up about a 15-20 seconds later and walked around as if nothing happened.

My conclusion is that the CO2 knockout gas method is too imprecise to know when the chicken will bolt awake and he may thrash about if startled awake during an operation. There's no way to determine how long the chicken will sleep. You may find yourself euthanizing with the gas if you put too much concentration of the solution in the box or keep the bird under for too long. There are too many variables to control for this to be a reliable method of anesthesia, it seems, in a home setting. It also is questionable if it is humane. Seems like it causes them distress as they are gasping for air. There must be a better way than this to anesthetize a chicken for operation. I will probably try ice as a local analgesic to at least numb the spot before caponizing.

My chicken was completely fine. He looked hungry and went off to get a snack after the experiment.
Pretty much exactly what we said would happen, either it won't work or you will kill the chicken.

Agreed, BYC predicted these results. That's why I value this forum. There are decades of experience here.

Too many times people say things that make sense but don't pan out, are partial truths or are tied to a context different from mine, or are outright bogus. Sometimes people pretend to know more than they do. I have to see to believe.

Folks interested in ordering new Chinese capon tools have five days to complete the group order form (link below). I recommend these tools because they work.

I know that there are some folks still using this thread. If you want to get tools from China, I have a contact. I generally order twice a year.
My next group order for capon tools from China will be emailed to my guy in China on February 25th. The Chinese New Year celebration will prevent me from ordering before that date.

I put together a google form for those who wish to be included. The form needs to be completed on or before February 20th to give me enough time for paperwork. If you have questions, send me a private message. If you want to be in on this upcoming order, here's a link to the form.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1...00CJJ5AJrFSc_tMlNVeTld2A/viewform?usp=sf_link

Edited to add the following: Many people have asked if they can get just a rib dilator. The answer is yes! I've added the option to get the small cockerel size or the large rooster size to the form.

Folks interested in ordering new Chinese capon tools have five days to complete the group order form (link below). I recommend these tools because they work.

I know that there are some folks still using this thread. If you want to get tools from China, I have a contact. I generally order twice a year.

When are you sending out invoices?

I'm having a heck of a time tying the rooster legs together without constricting them too tightly. The little bugger is struggling and scared and trying to kick me! Any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom