Gray Fox!

Gun is loaded and ready to go. Just have to see it again. If I don't get it before the weekend,I will be putting a rooster out as bait Saturday.
You may be able to call the fox to you with a "wounded rabbit" call which can be purchased at a sporting goods store. My husband got one and instead of practicing in the house he took it out on the deck to practice without his gun. Within five minutes he had a fox at the deck steps.
My son said that a friend who lives nearby has gotten five foxes this year that way.

That's a good idea. Its coming every day so I'm putting deer cameras up this afternoon to see if I can get its pattern on the time of day. And I will be waiting Saturday. (It hasn't got at chickens it the pen yet) and boy are they mad at me they want out but not til I kill the Fox.

Well it's been 2 days haven't seen the Fox and no pictures. I told my neighbor that has chickens to be on the look out for it. She told me it's been come on their porch eating cat food. They won't shoot it because they love all animals she said. Yea when it gets their chickens we will see how much they love it. I told her if it comes back I will be shooting to kill. She said please just catch it and relocate, yea I will relocate it to dead

Last edited:
Well it's been 2 days haven't seen the Fox and no pictures. I told my neighbor that has chickens to be on the look out for it. She told me it's been come on their porch eating cat food. They won't shoot it because they love all animals she said. Yea when it gets their chickens we will see how much they love it. I told her if it comes back I will be shooting to kill. She said please just catch it and relocate, yea I will relocate it to dead

Personally I wouldn't tell her anything else about the fox. She has been warned. I have neighbors who are the same (feeding them) and keeping off the topic has been the way to go and to keep the peace. I hope they don't ever look in the back of our pick up as that is where they stay until they go for testing at the department of agriculture.

Any more sightings yet?

this time of year it's probably feeding a litter of pups, the missing fur would just be normal shedding, it looks odd to us because we're not used to seeing foxes that look that way. is still kill it.
It's also possible that the missing fur is mange.

Hi all, new to this forum and new to BYC. We have a major fox issue. We've lost 18 birds in 2 months. We've trapped 2 juveniles, in 2 weeks and have seen a larger one as well, and think there are more. I've heard they live in "families". How in the world do you get rid of that many??? Any other things that are helpfu?

If you don't have a secure run attached to your coop yet, I'd suggest doing that. Your foxes will keep coming back as long as the buffet is available.
Trapping, poisoning, snares, grinded up glass in a piece of meat etc... I personally just like to shoot them. Its more humane and it doesn't hurt any other animals.

I would not use any of the other methods listed because of the chances of killing an unintended target.
Missing hair and skinny......probably mange, will be good to put it out of it's misery.
My thinking, too.

Personally I wouldn't tell her anything else about the fox. She has been warned. I have neighbors who are the same (feeding them) and keeping off the topic has been the way to go and to keep the peace. I hope they don't ever look in the back of our pick up as that is where they stay until they go for testing at the department of agriculture.

Any more sightings yet?
I wouldn't say anything more either - whether you shoot it or not. Some types of mange are contagious, I think.

mange is identified by thick, crusty, scaly skin commonly around the head, neck and face, not just some missing fur. also foxes are a skinny small animal by nature, they just look larger in the winter because of their winter coat. they would look skinny this time of year due to shedding.

Haven't seen it anymore, but I'm sure it's still coming around. My dogs bark all night long, so maybe they are keeping it away at night time.

Quote: Yes, our dog training instructor was telling us about mangy foxes in our area. One had come into a yard with a painted split log fence. It must have crawled through the boards which were fairly far apart. The person's dogs were checking out the fence line and one of her dogs came down with mange. Mange is a type of mite and depending on the immune system of the animl, it can be contagious.
BTW, your neighbor asking you to relocate a fox. In most areas, with good reason, it is illegal to relocate trapped animals.

Back
Top Bottom