Gray Silkies question - PICTURES

SundownWaterfowl

Crowing
14 Years
Mar 16, 2008
Southern Columbia County NY
I hatched 2 gray silkies about a 1.5 months ago. Ive been told there are two types of gray, light and dark, right?
Is there any other colors you can pair gray with? I have blue, splash and possibly white?

Both are girls and if there isn't anything I can use them for I will have to sell them off.

Last edited:
Are you following the grey discussion on the silkie club website?

Assuming that grey is partridge with silver instead of gold, you could pair to a partridge. Sons will be golden (one copy of gold, one of silver. Mate these sons back to a grey hen and you should get some pure silver sons as well as silver daughters.

However, no one seems to have decent grey males, which makes things much more difficult. It should not be such a problem, but when was the last time anyone saw a grey male silkie at a show?

Sonoran, would she be considered gray? If not, what color would you call her?

34583_gray_girl_and_kids_029.jpg

34583_gray_girl_and_kids_023.jpg

I had some of those light grays about a year ago, and got rid of them because I thought they were an off the wall color, wish I had of kept them now. They were really pretty!

Quote:
I have hatched many of these from gray breeding. I call them "Charcoal" and it is not a color that I am striving for, but it is beautiful. Mine are not a combination of colors with different color parents, but came from very dark gray males to chinchilla gray females. I have seen this color in Lavender breeding, but the body color is much lighter and has a slight blue cast to it.
I keep all the non-penciled ones for future gray breeding. I had never had a male color like this, most of the males from the same breeding are more of a black and white than charcoal colored and the color is not even throughout the body. This year was the first year I hatched a cockerel that is very similar to the pullets below. Hope that helps, I love the color too.

25578_100_5137.jpg

25578_100_5129.jpg

could you post a photo of them? i bought some chickens few days ago, and i guess they all are nonstandart ones, one was very nice looking dark gray. i would like to know if it was real gray. sorry i cannot told you what rooster is good for yours. I can guess that maybe black or white..

i think those are considered lavender! don't get rid of them just yet!

eta: and if you do i will take them off your hands! if i could add more birds to my flock without my dh being mad at me
roll.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom