Graze box question

Driley62

Songster
Jun 8, 2021
Chazy, NY
Hello all,

I'm looking at building a couple of grazing boxes for my flock so they have a constant supply of green grass in their large enclosure. Their large enclosure is plenty large but I feel not large enough to get away with direct seeding the ground every few months and don't have the ability to rotate. So graze box route it is.

I know hardware cloth is recommended for this application but im wondering if chicken wire would suffice?

I'm having a hard time finding hardware cloth cheap and in the length and width I need when chicken wire is readily available and cheap as well.

Thanks all

Might not be strong enough to hold their weight, unless the frames are small enough or you add supports.
I liked 1x2 cage wire the best.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/grazing-frames.73645/

I wasn't thinking a super wide or long graze box(es). Thinking 2 or 3 foot at widest and 8 foot long. Right now hardware cloth if it's on the shelf a 2 foot wide by 25 foot long roll of it I listed for 40+ bucks. I'm not sure if I can find the 1x2 fencing...I at least haven't came across it in stores

Thinking 2 or 3 foot at widest and 8 foot long.
That's pretty big, both for the span and the mesh strength and handling to 'clean' once in a while.

I'm not sure if I can find the 1x2 fencing...I at least haven't came across it in stores
Most farm stores(TSC, etc) should carry it, you may have to ask.

Back
Top Bottom