Great Depression of 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hemet-Dennis,I stand corrected,,no alaskan crude oil has been sold to Japan since 2000,We do export about 1/2 of the refined petroleum products we refine tho and do sell 25,000 barrels daily to Canada.

According to the CIA's World Factbook, the U.S. exported 1.048 million barrels of crude per day in 2004 - which amounts to about 12 percent of domestic production - and imported 13.15 million barrels a day that same year. It's unclear how much of the exported oil originated in Alaska.
A group of oil companies paid for the pipeline to be built in the late 1970s at a cost of $8 billion. Interest holdings in the pipeline have changed hands several times and today three companies own much of the pipeline and most of Alaska's oil leases: BP PLC, Exxon Mobil Corp. and ConocoPhillips.
Jeannette J. Lee
AP Business Writer
Anchorage, Alaska

Interesting notation from Forbes today on Rush Limbaughs show,the Govt website was strategically set not to operate once the stalemate began,with the purpose of the american people not being able to see the real cost they would incurr with Obamacare.Pres said on his re-election platform the true savings of this program,which is now a hoax. Another fact on his show today is 46% of the population recieves govt assistance in one form or another.Guess that leaves the other 54% like me and my family footing part of the bill for those unwed mothers with 4-5 kids all with diffrent last names?? When is it my responsibilty or whom voted that everyone else should help support girls like this?
Children born in circumstances like this has statistics that 80% will become likely to be govt supported thru welfare,food stamps,and whatever other govt handouts come to pass.My daughter just completed her college phsycology term paper on children born to one single parent and other stats she found and documented are jaw dropping. She recieved an A on this paper,and had to prove her fact sources,so once again what elected official says it's my duty to support this kind of parent and her children?

Trefoil,,if the govt would cut taxes on business,they would expand,creating new jobs. The Obama camp has done little or nothing to create new jobs.Mrs Obamas new school lunch program is so disliked by children,it too is a major taxpayer failure.School lunches has dropped dramatically because of the new menu.Really,what have the O'Bamas accomplished? Giving the country a credit card with no spending limit has to cease. One state senator on the radio today said that the total taxes collected yearly will cover 80% of the budget,the remaining 20% can come from social security bonds issued years ago,,so there would be "no deficet" but Obama wants an open ticket with no set guidlelines to keep a budget on anything.The only budget Obama ever has presented was shot down so badly,he hasn't done much since.This man who likes to say there will be "No Negotiations" in his policies needs to stand back and consider who is really paying for this.I also heard O'Bamas mother in law has been living inside the white house all this time too,,at our expense.Bet she don't eat lunchmeat or pbj sandwiches either.How much is this costing you and me? We as the voting populus have so very little to say or do,once these elected officials comes into office.
There is no accountability and recourse,they just do as they please at our expense.The link earlier about the Govt getting into our pension money makes me sick as well.Ever get the feeling we are all just pawns,and their use of the word "taxpayer" is just another word to calm the waters? 70% disapproval rating of the Republicans that stood their ground on giving the pres an open unlimited spending checkbook,,causing govt shutdowns.I'm one of the 30% that's glad they done this,it wakes the public up to hidden facts,especially about Obamacare and hows it's now not what we were told at election time.When inflation finally does take over,noone in office will say it was their fault.When we reach 25% unemployment,who then will think NAFTA helped generate free and equal trade across all borders? When our jails are full of illegal immigrants and criminals and we must feed and house them for years,at taxpayer expense,who then will say allowing them to enter the country to work was beneficial?When all our next meals comes from soup kitchens,who can we blame then?

Last edited:
Our problem is that for a overwhelmingly % of the population our economy is not working. And so far people who use money to make money hasn't been a solution. I believe they are no more or less "valuable" than the rest of the population and don't deserve more consideration than anyone else. I can understand the necessity of bailing out the auto makers, if they went down they would take a lot of the working class with them. But to bail out the banks so they could give their CEO's a raise and bonuses really urks me.

The auto bailouts cost the taxpayers, the taxpayers made money on the bank bailouts.

Hemet-Dennis,I stand corrected,,no alaskan crude oil has been sold to Japan since 2000,We do export about 1/2 of the refined petroleum products we refine tho and do sell 25,000 barrels daily to Canada.

According to the CIA's World Factbook, the U.S. exported 1.048 million barrels of crude per day in 2004 - which amounts to about 12 percent of domestic production - and imported 13.15 million barrels a day that same year. It's unclear how much of the exported oil originated in Alaska.
A group of oil companies paid for the pipeline to be built in the late 1970s at a cost of $8 billion. Interest holdings in the pipeline have changed hands several times and today three companies own much of the pipeline and most of Alaska's oil leases: BP PLC, Exxon Mobil Corp. and ConocoPhillips.
Jeannette J. Lee
AP Business Writer
Anchorage, Alaska
There you go again. We do NOT "export 1/2 of the refined petroleum products we refine tho". And we didn't export 1.048 million barrels of crude oil a day in 2004. we exported about 10,000 barrels a day in 2004.

The U.S. Energy Information Administration is the best place for information about oil. You will find that we export about 50,000 barrels a day of crude oil to Canada, but we import about 2 million barrels a day from Canada. The reasons we export some oil to Canada is due to location (the wells are closer or have infrastructure that makes it more cost effective) or the type of oil (Most of our refineries are set up to refine heavy oil and Canadian refineries are setup to refine light sweet oil)

We do export a net of about 1.4 million barrels a day of refined oil products, most to Canada and Mexico, who we import about 3million barrels a day of crude oil from. we refine about 17.8 million barrels a day, so as you can see 1.4 is not anywhere near half of 17.8. Some of the rest of the exports is products that are not used much here, like pet coke. Those exports employ a lot of American workers.

Sorry to be so picky on facts, but just the way I am. The "big oil" bashing is wrong and getting old.

Let's not be picking on the oil and gas industry. The development of the shale gas fields will be our salvation, and yes I want us to export natural gas. The world was given a second chance with the development of shale natural gas. We could become the Saudi Arabia of natural gas. The Saudi's now realized that their day in the sun is coming to an end.

Those shale deposit occur all around the globe.

Free trade has turned out to be a one way operation. Nothing is made in the US anymore. We need to move away from the income tax and return to tariffs for revenue. The current tax system inhibits the building of capital. When I returned to the US in 1966, US customs confiscated my flip flops and thermos bottle because they were made in Red China. Then, nothing made in Communist China could be imported into the US. Now, everything is made in Red China.

I think we need to be taxing the stuff they dump here. They sell those Haier air conditioners for less than the transportation costs from China. Just maybe we can put some of our people back to work.

Interesting notation from Forbes today on Rush Limbaughs show,the Govt website was strategically set not to operate once the stalemate began,with the purpose of the american people not being able to see the real cost they would incurr with Obamacare.Pres said on his re-election platform the true savings of this program,which is now a hoax. Another fact on his show today is 46% of the population recieves govt assistance in one form or another.Guess that leaves the other 54% like me and my family footing part of the bill for those unwed mothers with 4-5 kids all with diffrent last names? 1. We didn't get Obamacare, instead we got ACA, another instance of government welfare for insurance companies. 2. Who do you think is paying for it now?

Trefoil,,if the govt would cut taxes on business,they would expand,creating new jobs. .That sounds good but it doesn't (hasn't) worked that way The Obama camp has done little or nothing to create new jobs. And the house has voted down every time he tried, speaking of which, how many new jobs has Boehner created?Mrs Obamas new school lunch program is so disliked by children,it too is a major taxpayer failure.School lunches has dropped dramatically because of the new menu.Really,what have the O'Bamas accomplished? Giving the country a credit card with no spending limit has to cease. You are forgetting who comes up with and votes for all the tax cuts and programs that spend the money. One state senator on the radio today said that the total taxes collected yearly will cover 80% of the budget,the remaining 20% can come from social security bonds issued years ago,,so there would be "no deficet" but Obama wants an open ticket with no set guidlelines to keep a budget on anything.The only budget Obama ever has presented was shot down so badly,he hasn't done much since.This man who likes to say there will be "No Negotiations" in his policies needs to stand back and consider who is really paying for this.I also heard O'Bamas mother in law has been living inside the white house all this time too,,at our expense.Bet she don't eat lunchmeat or pbj sandwiches either.How much is this costing you and me? We as the voting populus have so very little to say or do,once these elected officials comes into office. Oh come on, do you really care if the mother in law is living with them or not? Remember when we had a surplus? Remember who couldn't stand it and voted in tax cuts to put us back in defecit?
There is no accountability and recourse,they just do as they please at our expense. Yes, they do, not Obama, not Pelosi, ALL of them.The link earlier about the Govt getting into our pension money makes me sick as well.Ever get the feeling we are all just pawns,and their use of the word "taxpayer" is just another word to calm the waters? 70% disapproval rating of the Republicans that stood their ground on giving the pres an open unlimited spending checkbook,,causing govt shutdowns.I'm one of the 30% that's glad they done this,it wakes the public up to hidden facts,especially about Obamacare and hows it's now not what we were told at election time Again, what we were told at election time didn't pass, that's how we ended up with the mess that is ACA, which is still better than what we started out with..When inflation finally does take over,noone in office will say it was their fault.When we reach 25% unemployment,who then will think NAFTA helped generate free and equal trade across all borders? When our jails are full of illegal immigrants and criminals and we must feed and house them for years,at taxpayer expense,who then will say allowing them to enter the country to work was beneficial?When all our next meals comes from soup kitchens,who can we blame then?

The auto bailouts cost the taxpayers, the taxpayers made money on the bank bailouts.
My mistake, Oh wait, I didn't see a penny of the money made on bank bailouts, did you? And the wages paid to the auto workers that still have jobs thanks to the bailout are not only supporting the workers and their families, they are paying taxes.

Did you "see" any of the money paid back by the auto companies ? I didn't, but I do know the the government got some of the money back. I also know that the government got more money back from the banks then they paid out.

And yes it was a good idea to save the auto companies and the workers jobs. But I think there was a better way to do it.

We had a balanced budget when Mr. Clinton left office. What happened during the Mr. Bush yrs. put us in debt. I don't think we can ever dig out of. Sad, Sad.

Last edited:
And then there is this: http://www.usatoday.com/story/money...r-fiat-ipo-shares-public-uaw-dispute/2838881/

My gut feeling is that Fiat will end up owning most of Chrysler, and they will produce cars in Latin America and China. The UAW trust money will disappear into a black hole. Union leaders will live quite well, and the rank and file will be out of luck.

UAW members will be out on unemployment forever. Soon, no automobiles will be made in the USA. Sad isn't it.

We had a balanced budget when Mr. Clinton left office. What happened during the Mr. Bush yrs. put us in debt. I don't think we can ever dig out of. Sad, Sad.

That is because he declared a "peace dividend" and gutted the US forces. When they did go into war in Iraq and Afghanistan, they went without armored vehicles. We paid dearly for his cheapness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom