Great Depression of 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
If only an answer were that easy. The batter who's at .250 will have what? Ten years of "working" life if he's lucky? The government's solution to the teenager with 3 kids is to outlaw birth control? It sounds right when people say the rich are "investing" in the economy, but in reality the working class and even the poor contribute comparatively more to our economy than the rich. I have nothing against the wealthy or the businesses, but you can only squeeze the "middle class" so much before they become, as they are in the process of right now, the poor. It just irks me that so many people that complain about welfare for the poor seem to have no problem at all with the welfare for businesses.

BV-SvbJIEAAHR1p.jpg

Don't know what to make of this. Flip flop or lying.

If only an answer were that easy. The batter who's at .250 will have what? Ten years of "working" life if he's lucky? The government's solution to the teenager with 3 kids is to outlaw birth control? It sounds right when people say the rich are "investing" in the economy, but in reality the working class and even the poor contribute comparatively more to our economy than the rich. I have nothing against the wealthy or the businesses, but you can only squeeze the "middle class" so much before they become, as they are in the process of right now, the poor. It just irks me that so many people that complain about welfare for the poor seem to have no problem at all with the welfare for businesses.

Welfare for business ?

Trefoil, I think you missed that the business world provides the goods and services we need. They are a positive to society; welfare people on the other hand are a drag on society. Have you noticed that certain politicians will not use the word "working class," but say "middle class" instead. The thought of working offends their supporters. Most of us are not middle class, but are working class.

When people refer to the rich, just who are they talking about? Most of the funding for the business world comes from institutional investors. That would be our pension funds, IRA's, mutual funds etc.

I find it disturbing that some people hate those that they perceive to have a better lot in life. Jealousy, greed and envy seem to be the diseases of the non achiever. Don't hate the rich; be the rich.

The above video in post#16 above hits home,yes? Use the children to guarantee the note.How many here realize that once your parents signed your birth certificate,this gave the US Govt borrowing credit? Another fact is,if you have no birth certificate the Govt has no claims to you for anything,,you cannot be property of the Govt. My biggest issue with a economic depression is we are not far from Chicago,and 7 million people 120 miles from us in desperate times scares me somewhat.Martial law may become commonplace. In 1939 the total USA population was around 130 million,today our population is close to 320 million.

Same amount of land,yet almost 3 times the people.The problem will be,as it is now that we will look to our government to get us out of what they caused.In some respects having the ability to raise your own food may become a huge problem. I can see building a guard tower over my garden with a FLIR scope to see in the darkness,and being armed with a rifle to protect my animals and garden from thieves.Maybe since Illinois passed a "conceal-carry" law for firearms I should pony up the $180 and take the course so I can protect myself and family.

Back in the '30's during that depression,many looked at moving to the city for finding any way to earn a free meal,or earn a few cents.Todays scenerio makes me think of a mass exodus from large population areas,seeking out less congested areas to grow food and live.People who cannot pay their mortgage will be kicked out,,as will renters.Here are some facts on the 1930's depression,,,imagine the changes 80 years later.

In the first week of the Great Depression itself the US economy lost $30 billion dollars, $14 billions dollars of which were lost on one single day - the Black Tuesday.
The economy of Canada was the second worst affected in the world, with a fall of 56 percent from the 1929 level. The unemployment rate in Canada reached the highest of 27 percent in 1933.
The global trade collapsed as a result of several countries coming up with their own legislation in reply to the Smoot-Hawley Tariff Act passed by the US government, thus adding to the woes of depression.
In 1930, President Herbert Hoover made the rather infamous speech stating that the "worst was over". The fact, however, was that the problems for the U.S. as well as the world economy had just begun.
A severe drought in the United States in 1930s made life during this period even more difficult, displacing as many as 500,000 people from Texas, Oklahoma, and the surrounding Great Plains.
The average annual income of an American family was reduced to $1500 from $2300 - a decline of whopping 40 percent, during the Great depression.
Within a year since the depression began as many as 3,000,000 children were forced to quit school owing to economic crisis that the American families were subjected to.
Among the various effects of the Depression, one noteworthy development was the replacement of classic economic liberal approaches with Keynesian policies in the United States.
Some economists are of the belief that the actual depression lasted only for four years between 1929 and 1933, and the rest of the period was actually the recovery phase which started rather slowly.
The depression was not bad for everyone though, as many people (including Joseph P. Kennedy) amassed enormous amount of wealth in the field of real estate during this period.

A Few More Facts Worth Knowing...

The Great Depression is a broad term used to refer to the economic crisis which engulfed the entire world for a period of 12 years, between 1929 and 1941.
When the Depression began in 1929, the President of the United States was the Republican candidate - Herbert Hoover.
One of the main causes of this financial crisis was the Wall Street Crash of 1929.
The economy incurred a loss of $14 billion on a single day on 29th October, 1929 - a day which is more popular as the 'Black Tuesday'.
During the Great Depression, all the major countries of the world were forced to abandon the gold standard in order to print more money.
Even though the Depression lasted for 12 years, it took 27 whole years for the U.S. Economy to reach the pre-cash levels after the stock market crash of 1929.
Such was the impact of this economic depression that by 1932, i.e. within 3 years of the beginning of this crisis, 40 percent of the American banks had failed.
Unemployment was yet another crisis that the United States was subjected to during this period; it reached its highest point of 25 percent in 1933.
As desperate measures of providing jobs to the citizens, several structures such as the Empire State Building and the Golden Gate Bridge were commissioned by the US government during this period.
The Great Depression finally came to an end with the beginning of the World War 2, which created several job opportunities across the world.

The Great Depression of 1930s was the most severe economic crisis that affected the world back then - 'back then' because many scholars are of the opinion that the situation during the economic crisis of 2009 was much more severe than the same in 1930s.

Now this: http://www.articlesbase.com/economi...start-of-major-financial-tragedy-2634441.html

Last edited:
Who keeps up on these kinds of predictions? Ex Fed Reserve Chairman Ben Bernake will openly state if the interest rate is increased 2%,this will trigger a world wide recession,and the worst ecomomic Depression the United States has ever had. Since world trade is based on the US Dollar,if our country fails,many others will follow suit.

With Pres Obama wanting to increase our debt ceiling limit 7 Trilion dollars higher than last year alone,and almost double what it was for 2012,how will our country ever dig it's way out? With over 1% of the workforce being employed by the US Govt,(as we found out this week thru shutdowns) don't this tell us our Govt is too big?
You do know that Ben Bernanke isn't the Ex Fed Reserve Chairman, He is the current Fed Reserve Chairman.

And your numbers for the debt ceiling are really way off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom