Great Depression of 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, she was jailed for failing to fulfill the duties of her office. If she can not do her job as prescribed by law then she should have stepped down.

No different than someone taking a job as a cashier at a grocery store then refusing to touch/checkout pork products or alcohol. Again, if you can't do the job, then go find another line of work.

No different than the cab drivers who refuse to accept fares because they have alcohol or seeing eye dogs. Again, if you can't do the job, then go find another line of work.

No different than nurses who refuse to wash their hands because the soap/disinfectant has alcohol in it. Again, if you can't do the job, then go find another line of work.

So a judge has jailed the lady for her beliefs. She can't be just fired, she was elected, she would have to be impeached. I saw a news commentator say the workers should be fired. I would love to be fired for doing what my boss told me to do. I would have a line of lawyers wanting to represent me. Talk about a slam dunk case.  

Other than the taxes and immigration, all of those other issues can be resolved via contracts, wills, living wills, trusts, power of attorney forms, etc.

Taxes, end of life and other rights, visitation in case of dire emergency, immigration in some cases...

Last edited:
When I'm on the road, it's inevitable that I see yahoos doing nutty things with their cars. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has encountered a nitwit behind the wheel. Now think of those who can't drive -- either because they can't pass the tests or because some action caused the revocation of their licenses. But in most cases, they can still get guns.

Those who are gun enthusiasts are not the problem. They have knowledge, training, experience, etc. While I don't personally own a gun, I have hunters, military, and amateur gun owners in the family and among close friends. I've gone shooting with some of them a few times -- and enjoyed it. Not a one of them would be someone I'd say "you shouldn't have a gun." And I'd wager that most on this thread would fall into that camp. Those gun owners should be proud, and consider their "club" to be one of earned proficiency and responsibility. Why you'd want to diminish that by fighting for the freedom for any wacko to be able to buy firearms without passing some sort of test is beyond me.

I'm sure you've all come across various YouTube or Facebook videos of stupid people doing stupid things and getting hurt. Do you really want every one of those yahoos to be as easily able to own a gun as someone who knows what (s)he's doing, like you? Do you want to live in a world where everywhere you go, people are armed "because it's their right"? Think of how many times someone "got the wrong idea" and flew off the handle. Now add the finality of a bullet. You can all talk about how fast you can draw and how dead-on your aim is, but that's in a controlled situation where you know what's going on. Do you go through life constantly "on guard"? Do you want to? After all, someone out there may have a "sincerely held religious belief" that you resemble the enemy and must be taken out.

In reality, this "they're coming to take your guns!" is fear-mongering by the gun lobby because they don't want to lose ANY potential customers, regardless of their proficiency, responsibility, or sanity.
I fight for every yahoo to own a gun cause that is what the Constitution says. The base law of the land says they can. We are ether a country of laws or a country of feelings, we cant be both.

No, "they're coming to take your guns!" is not fear-mongering by the gun lobby. Anyone who knows history knows it. Anyone who has ever sat threw a Congressional hearing on guns knows it. Anyone who has spent 5 minutes talking to someone in one of Bloombergs groups knows it.

What is fear-mongering is training, licensing an background check stuff. I have lived my whole life an worked in EMS for 13 years in the Appalachians. Specifically on a mountain now known by the nickname "meth mountain"... Just about every single person up here is armed. Many have never actually shot a gun, but they have them. About half are bat poop crazy. Despite that I know of only 1 gun homicide in my community that has happened here in my lifetime. It was a man shot at the door of another mans house, shot by the home owner. Across the state line a similar homicide happened a few years before. That one was a bounty hunter shot at the front door of someones home.

As far as accidents, I have seen two people in my life that shot them selves cleaning a gun. Both were well trained hunters an one dummy who happens to be family who shot his self in the leg "pulling his pants up"...

Compare that to cars now sense that is what you did. Just yesterday I went to a crash where a teen had ran in to the back of a turning truck sent it flipping across a field with a man an his kids inside. My friend is currently in the hospital recovering from being hit from behind by a potato truck running 70 MPH when she was sitting in a traffic jam from another wreck. In the 13 years I was actually doing EMS full time I was responding to about 150 crashes a year. We meet other drivers passing head on at a closing speed of 120 miles per hour, hundreds of times a day trusting that they have enough skill not to hit us with only a line of paint separating us. 99% of them have never taken a drivers-ed class in their life.

For guns to be anywhere near as dangerous as cars, we would have to replace waving high at your neighbors with shooting their hat off there head as a common way of saying hello. Then after a few years of that being a common practice the two may compare with each other.

What I don't understand about gay people getting married and buying wedding cakes is why do they have to have just that one cake or that one license? If someone doesn't want to sell me a cake, I just go on to some other bakery. There are thousands of bakeries out there that don't care.

Likewise, there are other counties down the road that will sell them a marriage license.

There are justices of the peace and clergymen that for a hundred dollars will marry a cat and a dog.

It is not a live and let live situation, but almost seems as if the gays are looking for an issue to complain about. It looks like they are trying to force respect from others, and in their case, that just isn't going to happen.
I don't think the marriage license thing is the same as the others. a private cake baker should be able to refuse service service to someone who is red headed if he does not like red heads an they should just go elsewhere. A government agent has a requirement to treat everyone the same no matter what they think of the person or their actions. A government agent doing otherwise should have the full force off the law brought down on them.

Marriage licenses though should not exist.. The only reason they do it to control people. Originally it was to make sure interracial marriages did not happen. It has later been used to encourage marriage by granting special privileges to people that do.How many marriages of convenience are there now? My neighbor remarried his ex wife just to save money on taxes an insurance. I have two HS friends that married to do the same.

A marriage license has no other job than social engineering...

Cowboy, where does one make a stand? When a government action runs counter to one's moral belief, is it not just to refuse to accede? I am thinking of the "I was just following orders" defense at the Nurenburg trials.

No, she was jailed for failing to fulfill the duties of her office. If she can not do her job as prescribed by law then she should have stepped down.

No different than someone taking a job as a cashier at a grocery store then refusing to touch/checkout pork products or alcohol. Again, if you can't do the job, then go find another line of work.

No different than the cab drivers who refuse to accept fares because they have alcohol or seeing eye dogs. Again, if you can't do the job, then go find another line of work.

No different than nurses who refuse to wash their hands because the soap/disinfectant has alcohol in it. Again, if you can't do the job, then go find another line of work.
Quote: She is standing up for a right that she believes she has.
When it was the law that blacks and whites couldn't get married some did anyway and went to jail for their beliefs. That is how you change the system.
All of your examples were employees not doing what their employer wants them to do. So who is her employer ? She is elected to that job, will the voters decide to replace her ?

I used to work in a factory that ran 24/7, but they couldn't require a Jewish person to work Saturdays, and Christians on Sundays. I made a lot of money working overtime to cover some of those shifts. If someone doesn't want to handle pork the employer provides gloves. It's called making accommodations.

Have a nice holiday weekend.

Quote:
And if it's up to the courts to decide who can get married and who can't, then why don't they issue the permits ?

Uhm... using your example of blacks and whites wanting to get married, it was people like this clerk who perpetuated and enforced that nonsense. She would have been the one refusing to issue a license to a mixed couple despite the fact that the law and the courts said you had to. As I said, she is in jail because she refuses to do her job as prescribed by law. If she wants to make a change, then let her either do it on her own time or get elected to a legislative position. It is not her job to decide who can get married and who can't. Her job is to issue the licenses and record the details in county records.

Don't disagree about having to get a marriage license in the first place or about the stupid disparities in taxes for two single individuals vs two married individuals or the tax breaks for kids.

Solve the whole mess by getting government out of the marriage issue completely. You want to get married, fine go to your church and if they allow it then let them perform the ceremony. Everything else is a civil union that any two people (M/F or same sex) can simply set up via POA, trusts, wills, etc.

With identical household income, two people living together but not married should be paying the same taxes as two people living together and married. If I have kids, that expense should be on me. They are children not tax write-offs.

And for the record I'm married and have three kids.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom