Green Coop

I have to agree all the ones I saw in the store are so flimsy and so I built mine out of 4x4 and 2x4 T 11 siding. Yes it did cost me Over $500.00 to make and I have 20 hens in mine. It will last a long time.

How old are your orpingtons? They do get quite large when full grown. My uncle has that coop as a growout pen for his chicks (2-4 at a time). They get too cramped after a few months but then they go in the main coop. Personally I would only keep two full grown small bantams max in it with a lot of free ranging.

Last edited:
Just please be aware of the problems that can arise if your birds out grow your coop, and you insist on keeping them in there. Over crowding can lead to all sorts of problems, from feather picking and laying problems, to as extreme as cannibalism. Yes, overcrowded birds can get so stressed that they start trying to eat each other. Space is really important for chickens.

No one is trying to take away from your excitement - quite the opposite, really, as the issues that can arise from this particular situation will take away from what is meant to be a joyful, fun experience for you and the birds. Pointing out potential problems and concerns is done with the best of intentions, especially when someone is new to the world of chicken keeping and is unfortunately working with information that is not the best due to misleading information provided by a manufacturer. Believe it or not, those of us who have tried to voice concern have done so because we want the best for you and your flock.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom