Green eggs Leghorn?

SoCal-ludic

Chirping
5 Years
Jan 17, 2016
Rancho Cucamonga
OK folks. Now I am confused. I was told by a local feed store that I was purchasing a 4 week old white leghorn, who recently now has started to lay green eggs. When I questioned this on this forum, I was told I probably had an EE'er instead. OK, I get this because my hen has grey/blue legs, a pea combs, and has red earlobes. But she is pure white with classic high rump feathers. I have included a number of photos, and wou

ld appreciate your much more educated opinion of what breed I might actually have.

It's an Easter Egger. It has a pea comb and green legs. A leghorn would have a single comb and yellow legs. EEs can be any color so white is certainly possible.

Last edited:
Hello kind of farm girl, who is a Christian taking care of many of God's creatures. Waiting for a flood are we?
Thanks for your input. Here us my problem. I have read a lot about Ameraucana and Arsucanas breeds from Chile. Hens are the famous blue and green egg layers, full beards and ear muffs. The Arsucanas breed have no tail, but does come in solid colors. The Ameraucana are mixed colors but always have some type of beard. Here is a description of EE from one of the hatcheries

"The "Easter Egg" chicken originally came from Chile in South America, discovered by the Araucana Indians. The true pure Araucana chicken is rumpless (tailless) , has a small curling tuft of feathers next to each ear and come in different pure color types. The true pure Ameraucana chicken has a tail, full beard and comes in pure color types. The Easter Egg chicken is different because they have a full beard under the beak rather than a tuft and have a tail rather than rumpless and do NOT have pure color types. Cackle Hatchery® offers for sale the "Easter Egg" chicken not the Ameraucana or Araucana chickens for sale.

You can see my "Blanch" has a full rump feathers with no beard or muffs at all, but sill lays green eggs. She is a lovely bird, friendly and very dedicated to dust baths. So I guess I should give up on understanding the exact breed and accept this as another example Gods magnicant creation.

I see why you are confused. That description is not accurate. Easter Eggers are not a breed at all. What they are are mixed breeds that usually have pea combs and green eggs, and that usually lay blue or green eggs. What that description is describing is the araucana chicken breed, which is very different. There is a standard for them, and they are rumpless and tufted. They have to lay blue or green eggs to conform to the standard, and they only come in certain colors.

The ameraucana, another breed that lays blue or green eggs, is the same. They must have muffs and again can only be certain colors to meet the standard.

Where the confusion comes from is hatcheries labeling their EEs as ameraucanas or araucanas when they are not. All EEs are are mutts that usually have certain characteristics but none of them are guaranteed and they can be any color under the sun.

And the description you posted is describing the araucana breed and for some reason calling them easter eggers, which honestly I have never seen before. The hatchery you got that description from is very misinformed.

So what you have is definitely an EE. Any bird that lays blue or green eggs and does not fit the breed standard of a breed that lays eggs those colors is an EE.

Any hen that lays blue or green eggs and does not meet a breed standard for one of the breeds that lays colored eggs is referred to as an Easter egger by default. If she laid brown or white eggs, she'd simply be a mixed breed or Barnyard Special.

Back
Top Bottom