Green fungal looking spot on duckling bill

ocsprinter

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 3, 2012
Hi all,

I have noticed recently that my Pekin duckling has developed a green area on her bill. I would say she is about 2.5 weeks old at the most, so I don't think it's hormonal (read other threads which talked about that.)

The texture is slightly puffy, and it looks dry around the coloring. Is this a fungus that I need to get taken care of or is it normal? Is it a deficiency in some type of nutrient? She drinks lots of water so I don't think she is dehydrated...

That is a puzzler. My first thoughts include wondering if there is some kind of infection just under the top surface of the bill. That can happen, and any infection can pose serious health risk if left untreated.

Can you get her to a vet?

There are fungal infections, too. Again, I think that it might deserve a look from someone who can prescribe treatment.

It is possible it is just one of those things that is pretty harmless, but I would hate to ignore something that needs attention. Good that you noticed it!

I have read about duck bills peeling and shedding, too, but have not seen it in my ducks so far.

Last edited:
Thanks to both of you. She has taken a couole of tumbles lately so a bruise would sense. (sh is still learning that walking between your legs whilst walking is not a good idea.). If it doesn't go away I will take her in.

Back
Top Bottom