Green roofs??

erinszoo

Songster
8 Years
Jun 28, 2011
North Central Oklahoma
has anyone tried using a green roof for their chicken coop? We are building a new coop. It's round and the walls are cordwood and cob infill. We would love to do a green roof on it both for looks and for heat control in the summer but it would also be neat if we could plant something the birds could eat on it. We don't want to have to build a fancy support system for it though, it's only 6 feet in diameter. Any ideas or suggestions?

If you Google "green roof chicken coops" there are lots of pictures to look at. Most of them appear to use rubber pond liner with a drain so excess water can run out. I'd LOVE to have a green roof, but my coop has an A-framish type roof so that wont work for me :(
I am going to build some little planter boxes for the porch though, so I can grow some sprouts and lettuce mixes for my chickies. Good luck!!!
Nikki

Perhaps you can build some 2x4 supports that span the coop and then use an inexpensive hardshell kiddie pool for the garden trough. You will have to put a few drain holes in it that can drain into 3/4" pvc system. Seems like a real cool project though!

craigslist always has used plastic ponds on there cheap. also I have seen the big vinyl banners used as pond liners maybe see if some one has a old one there not using

Back
Top Bottom