Grit size?!

Godiva

Crowing
16 Years
May 17, 2007
Colorado
I was using some granite grit that was ground up pretty small and then I ran out and bought another bag not realising that the new bag had different size grit in it. The new bag has really big pieces of gravel (to my eyes anyway) and I am finding quite a bit of it on the floor. I am thinking it is maybe more turkey size? What do you think and what size grit do you feed your chickens? They have also got pigeon grit at the feed store - it has calcium and vitamins etc added. Is this ok to feed to chickens? Thank you for your feedback folks - this place is such a great resource!

How old are your birds? I would avoid the calcium added stuff if they are not of laying age. I don't offer grit because they free range once they get treats and they eat rocks normally off the ground.

My birds are 18 weeks now. I have some pastured but it is thick pasture and they don't have access to stones or grit. The others are inside at the moment as we have had to rethink our chicken tractor design with the large dog situation and they are on deep straw bedding with no access to grit. Some are banties and some are heavy breeds.

Back
Top Bottom