grit?

questions543

Songster
7 Years
Mar 21, 2012
Hey im just getting started and have been doing alot of research... I need grit for my chickens and know that sands works, is there any type of sand I shouldnt use? I know this might sound stupid but can you buy sand from the home Depot and use that?

Hey im just getting started and have been doing alot of research... I need grit for my chickens and know that sands works, is there any type of sand I shouldnt use? I know this might sound stupid but can you buy sand from the home Depot and use that?

Do not use the play sand that you buy at the big home building supply stores. You could get some from a cenent construction company, or you could just get some from the side of a creek or river. Plain old dirt from your yard will work also.

Why only when they are baby chicks? What happens when chicks become adults to make it so you can't use pet store grit?

Grit for pet cage birds often is fortified with calcium. Not such a good idea for little chicks. Check the label.
I've never heard that adult chickens cannot have pet store grit. It would be a rather expensive option.

Here's a pic of chick grit from the feedstore. Hens can use bigger grit, but I have found that the feedstores around here carry "hen grit" that isn't any larger, and most sand from box stores is also small.

Imp

Back
Top Bottom