Ground Bees

Smiller1090

Chirping
Sep 27, 2020
Fountain County Indiana
A very large swarm of ground bees has decided to nest in my compost bin. We have very few number of warm days left. Should I try to rid them or just tolerate and let them be? So far they have not tried to sting us. They just showed up yesterday.

They can become very aggressive this time of year as next years reproductives are in the nest, and they are protecting them. As long as there no children or pets that can get near the nest you could let them be. I just eliminated a nest in my flower bed, and one down at the beagle club where they attacked a pair of dogs during a field trial.

Sourland, how did you eliminate them? I'm assuming a spray...? Is there anything that would be considered organic for use on a compost pile?

I dug into a beehive this last spring when I was digging up some dirt for my Big Dirt Project. I gave up on that dirt when I got stung twice.

If those are yellow jackets beware!! That nest can harbor several hundred of those aggressive stingers. You can spray the nest with a wasp and hornet spray but there is more than one opening to the nest and if you don't block all of them you may get mobbed. If there is any doubt then I recommend you get in touch with a pro. We uncovered one nest that was almost 3 feet in diameter. If your kids or dogs disturb them, it may mean a trip to the emergency room plus those stings hurt!

I eliminated ground hornets by pouring soap water on the nest twice a day. I filled a coffee container with soap water, and slowing killed the Japanese beetles by putting them in the soap water, then the container was dumped on the nest. Once in the morning and once around dusk.

Back
Top Bottom