Growing a tomato plant inside my house-- help me make this successful

THe second set of leaves are starting--

I gathered up all the supplies to repot the 4 tomato plants but then ditched that thought when I read the back of the potting soil bag-- repot when 4-5 inches high and has second set of true leaves . Definitely not more than about 3 inches. ANd the stems look too thin to not snap in the repotting process.

Patience.

TRying to remember to shut off light for a few hours. # hrs, a nd when varies.

THe second set of leaves are starting--

I gathered up all the supplies to repot the 4 tomato plants but then ditched that thought when I read the back of the potting soil bag-- repot when 4-5 inches high and has second set of true leaves . Definitely not more than about 3 inches. ANd the stems look too thin to not snap in the repotting process.

Patience.

TRying to remember to shut off light for a few hours. # hrs, a nd when varies.
BREATHE........ Relax.... be patient. The more leaves and light they get they will start to grow faster. If you wait until you can see roots coming from the bottom of the pot..... then it will be easier and better for the plants. Bigger root ball, stronger and they will actually hold the soil together for the transplanting.
fl.gif
Did you find the B-12? My seeds are just germinating now.... It's hard not to worry when I didn't see any primary leaf shoots.... Biting finger nails.... Waiting is the worst!!!

Last edited:
I forgot to look for the B12-- and I really don't have the funds for that if I want to buy forage seed and plants this year. Sigh--- always choices , huh??

I wish now I had seeded in separate pots initially and then repot. I"m conserned the roots could get injured if I wait until they tangle with each other and separating requires pulling roots apart. Wish I had xray vision!! lol

I forgot to look for the B1-- and I really don't have the funds for that if I want to buy forage seed and plants this year. Sigh--- always choices , huh??

I wish now I had seeded in separate pots initially and then repot. I"m conserned the roots could get injured if I wait until they tangle with each other and separating requires pulling roots apart. Wish I had xray vision!! lol
Don't sweat it. Tomatoes have amazingly strong root systems when grown in good conditions, you can separate them by tearing or cutting them apart, I use a steak knife! My wife cringes when I cut plants apart but we always have amazing plants each year. Do some
caf.gif
Googling on stuff that you can use instead of B-1 in a bottle. Although, it's not very expensive for a gallon bottle at the Depot. Sorry, I had a bit of "Partimers". It's actually B-1, not B-12. Duh....
he.gif
It's only $6 a gallon, but you will thank me later, because it will help you more than I can say whenever you transplant. Just water a few days before you're ready, that way the soil is kind of dry when transplanting, then water with B-1 for a couple of days afterwards. It's concentrated so a little goes a long way. I have the same gallon bottle for 3 years.

Last edited:
no pob--b1, b12 easy typing error!! lol

I did look at the soil mix = perlite and peat moss. Started thinking about fertilizers and pH because of the peat which is acid.

no pob--b1, b12 easy typing error!! lol

I did look at the soil mix = perlite and peat moss. Started thinking about fertilizers and pH because of the peat which is acid.
I wish it was a typo.... I just didn't get up to look at the bottle....
old.gif
I understand the whole budget issue. I will always try to buy bags of Miracle grow moisture control potting soil and garden soil when it's on sale (usually after the planting season). 2 big bags for $10 bucks. I will fill the transplant holes with a wet mixture (with B-1) to make sure all air pockets are gone and good root contact is kept. The Miracle gro in the soil will control moisture (if I forget) and will feed the basics for at least 3 months. But there are always money and time saving tips in here as well as Google.

I like your idea-- both time saving, water saving, and makes for better plant growth.

I ONCE thought about ripping apart my kids disposable diapers that only had pee for the water absorbing granules--- couldn't quite bring myself to do this. A big mess when it is wet and soggy, and well otherwise, in the realm of gross. lol

Can I mix my own equivalent of the Miracle grow Moisture COntrol??

I pretty much depent on the products, or byproducts from my horses to fertilize the gardens.

well my indoor lettuces are very leggy and really want better conditions ;/

the cherry tomaters are doing well and I'm gonna attempt transplant today to their own pots.. acccccck crossing my paws.

Do lettuces need more light or a different type of spectrum than a tomato??

Good luck repotting-- I chickened out. Decided to wait until the stems are a little thicker. THey sure are getting hairy though-- can't say I have ever noticed hairy tomatos before. lol THey could use a shave.

Do lettuces need more light or a different type of spectrum than a tomato??

Good luck repotting-- I chickened out. Decided to wait until the stems are a little thicker. THey sure are getting hairy though-- can't say I have ever noticed hairy tomatos before. lol THey could use a shave.
What are you seeing as hairy? the young tomato plants? Wait till you grow Garden Peach tomatoes.... they ripen to a nice yellow color and are covered in fuzz just like a peach! And the taste amazing! Remember all those tiny hairs are just little roots waiting to grow.
You can make up a home version of Miracle Gro, google it, lol. All plants use the same spectrum of light, as far a amount of sun, I know Tomatoes need full 8hrs of sun. Not sure what the lettuce needs... what's the package say? I found this on the interweb;

Lettuce is a cool weather crop and does best planted in the spring and fall, when the daytime high stays below 75F, and nighttime temps hover between 40 and 60F. That said, lettuce can take much colder conditions with some protection, such as a cold frame or a row cover (or, for more advanced growers, a hoop house), which lets you grow into the winter months and get started earlier in late winter/early spring.

Here at Boulder Belt Eco-Farm, we start planting lettuce in mid-March and replant every week or so through the beginning of May. For great lettuce, it’s crucial to plant at least 30 days before the temps get really hot (in southwest Ohio, that’s early June). Otherwise, the plants will get heat stressed and become bitter and usually bolt to seed, as well.

Likewise, you can grow lettuce throughout the summer, as long as your lettuce has ample shade and copious amounts of water. That means hand water morning and night, along with several mistings during the heat of the day. Because lettuce doesn’t really like heat, plants grown in temps above 85F tend to be bitter if allowed to grow to full size. If you want to plant summer lettuce, look for varieties that are described as slow to bolt and that can withstand hot weather. Green varieties do a lot better than red varieties in the heat.

Back
Top Bottom