Growing a tomato plant inside my house-- help me make this successful

Will see what I can do for a pic later tonight-- not exactly tech savy here. lol

I looked at the plants a few minutes ago. 3 out of 4 are showing wilted curled leaves. Not good. THe soil is not as soggy as last night which is good.

It is not just the bottom leaves. Hoping and praying here.

I mixed up a whole gal.
hmm.png
At 1 tsp per gal which is every other week watering. 1/4 tsp per gal is for regular watering rates = whatever that means.

No wonder folks prefer the grocery store!! lol
Don't worry...matoes are very tough. Let the soil drain and dry a little, stop giving the fert for a while because it is already in the soil.... Make sure to water only with tap water, don't use filtered, distilled, RO or bottled water. Unless there is another issue (light) they should bounce back.

Thank you.

We have well water here; some minerals in the water. We love the taste. Until recently it was tapped for bottled water it was so good.

Used plain tap water, warm to water this weekend when soil felt barely damp. Leaves are still dying very slowly, and color of leaves are a dark yellowy green, not he dark green they once were. Praying!!

My other plantins of tom have sprouted. Seeds are very old, so only about 1-2 out of 5 seeds are popping up. Maybe that is a good thing.

I don't know if it wil help: the lights are off at night to simulate day-night. Not a set schedule like a timer would provide. Just bed time and when I get up in the morning . . .

House is cooler than I like, about 65, for growing -- outside temps are very low for this area( 5-10)-- the whole winter has been colder than usual.

I don't know if it wil help: the lights are off at night to simulate day-night. Not a set schedule like a timer would provide. Just bed time and when I get up in the morning . . .

House is cooler than I like, about 65, for growing -- outside temps are very low for this area( 5-10)-- the whole winter has been colder than usual.
I'm sorry, but I should have asked earlier.... what type of lighting are you using...bulbs or tubes. As this will make a big difference in growth. The bulbs will provide lots of warmth but little UV rays, and the tubes will provide possibly enough light but not enough heat.

Are you a little more confused now?
he.gif

It will benefit the plants to have all day lighting when young, plants need some dark in order for transpiration.. Yuup, I broke out the big words...

Quote: I'm good with t he big words!!

ANd I'm not confused at all over the paragraph on lighting.

Tube bulb bought as a grow light and plant stand. I assumed the correct tube was included.
wink.png

I'm keeping the temps above 65. Might be too cold . . . . .

Leaves are still dying off . . . . . maybe more reason to puto n the heat in the bathroom.

THanks Hoospak for all the suggestions and holding my hand thru this . . ordeal!! lol

I'm good with t he big words!!

ANd I'm not confused at all over the paragraph on lighting.

Tube bulb bought as a grow light and plant stand. I assumed the correct tube was included.
wink.png

I'm keeping the temps above 65. Might be too cold . . . . .

Leaves are still dying off . . . . . maybe more reason to puto n the heat in the bathroom.

THanks Hoospak for all the suggestions and holding my hand thru this . . ordeal!! lol
Next would be a soil test for PH, nitrogen, Phospherous, and potassium (potash). I tested mine and what I found was not good, although I thought my soil was pretty good; a very high PH and basically no nitrogen.....

One of the plants has completely shriveled up.

I tested the soil for moistness by touching the soil and the dead one is the moistest one. THe other three are a bit drier. Watered with plain warm water.

Will look for soil tester-- might be too late though.

Back
Top Bottom