Growing a tomato plant inside my house-- help me make this successful

Hi Arielle!
frow.gif

the days stated on the pak typically represent the days from germination (sprouting) to fruit (when you can eat it....) Although some are from transplanting.... very helpful aren't I???

still looking into starting some veggies inside myself. I usually plant seeds right in the ground, and buy tomato plants.... but trying to extend my growing season a little bit....

THanks for chiming in!!

My seeds have not sprouted yet, WHen I touched the soil the top where the seeds are located, it seems too cool; the bottom is warm, but not the top. Might need a diferent way to warm them up before they just rot.

I started a very small indet tomato in a very large and bright south facing window, several seeds in a 5 gallon pot. I covered the pot in plastic to keep in moisture and help heat it up during the day, but they still germinated slowly. But they all germinated and are over a foot high now. I started them before xmas though.

You may need to provide extra heat, but room temps should be plenty enough for tomatoes to germinate. And even with supplemental lighting, the natural light you get from a north facing window may be a problem (lack of). The heat and radiance from natural lighting are very appreciated and necessary for tomatoes to do well.

I'd still keep trying, but also try some plants that do well under supplemental lighting- like basil and lettuces. Still good to use in the kitchen, although not as satisfying as a tomato I know. :)

Good luck, I'd love to see photos of your set up.

I started a very small indet tomato in a very large and bright south facing window, several seeds in a 5 gallon pot. I covered the pot in plastic to keep in moisture and help heat it up during the day, but they still germinated slowly. But they all germinated and are over a foot high now. I started them before xmas though.

You may need to provide extra heat, but room temps should be plenty enough for tomatoes to germinate. And even with supplemental lighting, the natural light you get from a north facing window may be a problem (lack of). The heat and radiance from natural lighting are very appreciated and necessary for tomatoes to do well.

I'd still keep trying, but also try some plants that do well under supplemental lighting- like basil and lettuces. Still good to use in the kitchen, although not as satisfying as a tomato I know. :)

Good luck, I'd love to see photos of your set up.
At this point the seeds are in a small mushroom container with holes in the bottom, set in a larger container to hold the drained water; then tucked into a plastic baggie. Busy day so didn't get to pull out the heating mat.

We are excesively cold here given the effect of the artic blast that continues to asult us. The house is a little colder than past winters, so probably not the best for the tomatos. But trying anyway.

We are happy to buy fresh mixed lettuce at the grocery; Figure $7 for a large box well worth the money. I grew basil last year in the garden and now have some in the freezer, somewhere-- I had forgotten about it until you mentioned basil! lol

A paint brush works, the other methods are faster. The good thing about the tomato blossom is each one contains everything it needs, you dont have to get pollen from one and transfer it to another blossom, all you have to don is shake it up enough for some pollen movement. Good luck with your tomatoes, and remember light, light light, it is so important.

I hear you about arctic blast, I'm in central Minnesota! Wind chill warnings today, they cancelled school. Brrrrrrrrr, too much for me.

Second tomato pollination, they can self pollinate easily with just a little movement. This makes them ideal for coming true in the garden, you don't have to worry too much about accidental cross pollination between plants of different phenotypes. Ya gotta sorta make it happen yourself or get lucky with a bee at the perfect moment. :)

Thats an interestng point -- the tomatos tend to breed true. SO different than corn! lol BUt then I'm not planning to grow corn in my house any time soon.

Might try a different packet of seeds as these are not doing anything.
hmm.png
Saw the local gardening supply store has seeds in already for 2014.
celebrate.gif

Thats an interestng point -- the tomatos tend to breed true. SO different than corn! lol BUt then I'm not planning to grow corn in my house any time soon.

Might try a different packet of seeds as these are not doing anything.
hmm.png
Saw the local gardening supply store has seeds in already for 2014.
celebrate.gif

Really?? Might have to check my local store later! Yay!!

I see you've gotten lots of pointers for types of tomatoes to try. Just in case it wasn't covered- look for a dwarf patio type, or determinate type. The dwarf patio type doesn't need to be determinate, as they stay nice and small. Determinate types ripen all at once, and even though they don't vine indefinitely, they can still get big and you have to wait a while for delicious tomatoes but they're more manageable.

Did ya find your basil yet?
wink.png

Last edited:
Basil-- found started plants one year at a distant nursery, then miraculouly foudn 6 packs locally this past spring 2013. WIll be looking for more. OR try my hand at aprouting the seeds I already have. Frozen basil is still lost in the freezer-- should have labels it. doh

CHecked last night and have THREEE tomotos 2 inches high!!!

Revamping my location to upstair bathroom, where I can turn on the heat. My LG needs the constant temps so might as well have the tomatos take advantage. I tis a north window but no trees to cause shade given the lawn out back. Lots of sunlight pours in, more than the southside.

Last edited:
Progress! Keep experimenting and trucking along, you'll make it work and enjoy fresh produce year round from indoors sans greenhouse and expensive set ups. You're doing a great job!
thumbsup.gif

I just harvested some thyme from my window garden, and tossed it on a cast iron pot full of chopped potatoes, carrots onions, and kohlrabi- ate it with some battered up chicken thighs the other night. The fresh herbs on the veggies totally makes them taste like you're eating in a fancy restaurant- after all, that's their secret. Not really secret of course, as you can so easily have the same flavors at home from the windowsill or garden.

Back
Top Bottom