Growing fodder for chickens

Great idea to start a thread about this... I'm still harvesting my garden, so when I start sprouting, I'll post pics, too...

Thank you so much for posting this. I have been wanting to do this for awhile and keep putting it off but you inspired me. I have my seed trays now and have tracked down some bulk seeds. (I live in the city so the options are kind of limited). I haven't found wheat but I think I am going to do barley with flax and boss mixed it. I also have oats available - do you think that would be any good or not?

Thank you again.

I don't suggest using the flax seed. It turns into a gummy mass of goo. Oh, and make sure that the barley isn't the pearled kind. The pearled barley won't sprout. BOSS is good. :)

Thank you so much for posting this. I have been wanting to do this for awhile and keep putting it off but you inspired me. I have my seed trays now and have tracked down some bulk seeds. (I live in the city so the options are kind of limited). I haven't found wheat but I think I am going to do barley with flax and boss mixed it. I also have oats available - do you think that would be any good or not?

Thank you again.
I tried oats in my Fodder system and had a HORRIBLE experience. Poor sprouting, dirty water, and lots of slime. Funny, because it sprouted right up when I threw it in the worm bin..... I found feed wheat and it's been a dream. I have mine all automated with recycled water (I'm a lazy homesteader). I started my fodder system to feed the critters I want to have on my urban homestead (some rabbits, a few chickens, and a couple of mini goats). It's turned into sort of a little business since a lot of my friends wanted one..

Here's the finished Fodder (6 days):

I tried oats in my Fodder system and had a HORRIBLE experience. Poor sprouting, dirty water, and lots of slime. Funny, because it sprouted right up when I threw it in the worm bin..... I found feed wheat and it's been a dream. I have mine all automated with recycled water (I'm a lazy homesteader). I started my fodder system to feed the critters I want to have on my urban homestead (some rabbits, a few chickens, and a couple of mini goats). It's turned into sort of a little business since a lot of my friends wanted one..

I am silly excited about this. Plan to start this weekend. I am pretty new to urhan homesteading and am slowly planning and added new things. I recently started to grow some herbs and plants indoors with a grow light so I am added these into the mix. How long of a light cycle do you have them on?

The sprouts don't need any additional light. They're in there for such a short time and you aren't asking them to flower or fruit. I just use what light is in the living room where my Fodder system sits.

My sprouting routine and more information about fodder is a www.half-pinthomestead.com

Sherry

P.S. I'm new to Urban Homesteading too. My last place was 35 acres with horse, goats, and guineas, The place before was 7 acres with milk cows, horses, chickens, sheep, and pigs. It's sort of a lovely puzzle to scale everything down to 1/5 of an acre....
yesss.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom